Marvel's 'Iron Fist'

Marvel's 'Iron Fist'

Within the last several days, the series has received mostly negative reviews, which is truly not what I had expected for a Marvel series, especially for the last of the four Defenders.

19
Marvel's 'Iron Fist'
ComingSoon

Created for Netflix, “Marvel’s Iron Fist” is the fourth in a series of shows that will lead up to the upcoming crossover miniseries “The Defenders.” The Defenders consist of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist, all reprising their roles from their individual series.

“Iron Fist” premiered on Friday, March 17th, with a full season of 13 episodes. With countless people celebrating St. Patrick’s Day, strolling the streets in their green attire and pub-hopping, the show’s premiere was considerably lackluster. Within the last several days, the series has received mostly negative reviews, which is truly not what I had expected for a Marvel series, especially for the last of the four Defenders. Many criticize the pace and form of storytelling, the underwhelming fight sequences, as well as Finn Jones’ portrayal of main character Danny Rand/Iron Fist. Although I have only had the time to watch the first few episodes, primarily as a distraction from the impending stress of midterms, I am hesitant to agree with critics.

I was told by a friend of mine prior to me watching the show, that it does start off slow and takes time to get into, but it is interesting. With exceptionally positive reviews for the previous Marvel shows with the Defenders, I was definitely looking forward to watching “Iron Fist.” I do agree that the pace is too slow, and to capture the immediate attention of a Marvel fan you really need to pack the action or give viewers great character chemistry from the start. I loved watching “Jessica Jones” despite its tones of a psychological thriller; it has a strong female lead who is more of an anti-hero and connects to viewers on an emotional level. “Daredevil” has amazing action sequences as well as humor and characters you root for and grow attached to. And don’t even get me started on my love for Marvel’s “The Avengers” film franchise.

Unfortunately, Finn Jones as Danny Rand does not provide viewers with that necessary oomph that a Marvel series thrives on. The show doesn’t give immediate emotional impact nor strong fight sequences, which pushes more attention to the characterization of Danny Rand, whose story unravels very slowly. Viewers witness the plane crash scene numerous times and as Rand struggles to explain where he’s been the last 15 years, we learn little by little who Iron First is and how Rand gained this extraordinary power that no one initially believes he has.

It is, however, worth noting that positive reviews should be given toward the reappearance of Jeri Hogarth whose character has a significant role on “Jessica Jones.” Jessica Henwick’s performance as Colleen Wing is notable as well. Henwick plays a strong female lead and Colleen Wing has already been labeled by many as the “cool badass multifaceted Asian character” that television needs. Every fight scene featuring her within the first few episodes is fantastic and I hope she plays even more of a role in Rand’s life as the episodes progress.

Overall, I hope that by the time I finish watching the show, I won’t think it was completely lackluster. The pace and form of storytelling hopefully will also improve as I get closer to the end of the series. Nevertheless, even with the negative reviews of this show I am still very much looking forward to the Marvel crossover miniseries “The Defenders,” which supposedly will be released later this year. That has to be epic and exceed expectations. The anticipation is high for that crossover, for me and my fellow Marvel fans. Until then, may this year bring more Marvel shows and films to keep fans at bay.