Marvel's 'Black Panther' Presents A New Legacy For The Modern World

The film is nothing short of a revolution.
152

Like many other industries, Hollywood has definitively struggled to represent people from different backgrounds and groups. Yet, in the wake of all the controversy, Marvel has stepped up and shone a light on Africa, placing it on its rightful throne all the while whipping up a superhero story, which is far more unique than your average Marvel movie.

Marvel sets the story in the heart of Africa in a make-believe nation known as Wakanda. The nation, like many in the Eastern hemisphere, is seen as a "third world" country with "primitive" people. However, Wakanda thrives within barriers protecting it against the outside world with far more sophisticated and superior technology than anything any first world country can ever imagine.

The plot focuses on a king crowned too soon who struggles with the demands of his people in a modern world. T'Challa struggles to rule like his father all the while attempting to rule in his own unique way. The movie first attempts to divide a pure country with a historical culture from the colonizers and then unites all the nations together in a marriage for a successful future. The movie also incorporates Xhosa (a South African language) into the dialogue for an authentic cultural replication.

In addition to all of this, Marvel paints a villain who is anything but a true villain. Killmonger wants Wakanda to be a part of the real world and struggles with the feeling of abandonment after the death of his father. His return to Wakanda represents a mere thirst to belong and to show the world that his people are capable of so much more, in the midst of all the violence and racism that they have been facing. Killmonger's end is a poetic one with an ode for honor to his ancestors who were unwillingly stolen from their continent.

Furthermore, the movie gives ample screen time to fierce women without whom King T'Challa would honestly not be as effective. From T'Challa's sister Shuri who is a remarkably gifted scientist and the brains behind Wakandan tech to Okoye (head of armed forces at Wakanda) and even T'Challa's love interest Nakia; Wakandan women have this air of strength and prowess.

Marvel has hit a home run with "Black Panther," and I for one can't wait to see where T'Challa's legacy as a just and democratic king takes him. "Black Panther" is nothing short of a revolution.