Marvel Vs. DC: My Favorite Characters

Marvel Vs. DC: My Favorite Characters

23 of my favorite characters from both universes

102
Marvel Vs. DC:  My Favorite Characters
Playbuzz

There has been a rivalry among comic giants Marvel and DC for years. This feud has gone back basically since they began to become giant tycoons in the comic book industry. Personally, I'm a fan of them both. While I'm not an avid comic reader, I have seen almost every superhero movie to come from both comic worlds. Below, I have compiled a list of my top favorite characters from both Marvel and DC Universes.

1. Batman

Out of all the various portrayals of Batman over the years, whether by Michael Keaton, Christian Bale or even Ben Affleck, Batman has always been my favorite superhero. Orphaned at a young age, Bruce Wayne develops the Batman in order to stop the crime in Gotham City. He comes up against many different villains, landing most of them in the city's notorious prison, Blackgate. The reason he's my favorite character mostly stems from Christopher Nolan's version which Christian Bale so adequately portrayed. He overcomes his fear of bats to become the Batman, also using his riches to create the weapons and modifications to his armor that he needs to protect his beloved city.

2. Iron Man

Iron Man is my favorite of all of Marvel's various characters. Nobody could pull off Tony Stark quite like Robert Downey Jr. He's just the right amount of genius and sarcasm along with the emotion and loyalty that adds to his character development throughout the series. I have yet to see "Captain America: Civil War," but I'm sure Tony has his reasons for going against Steve. Team Iron Man!

3. Loki

Okay. I love mythology. Ever since the first "Thor" movie came out, I've been crazy about Norse mythology...and Tom Hiddleston. Loki, in mythology, is a trickster god. It is his children that inevitably bring about Ragnarok, or the end of the world, in which even the gods themselves must die. I was looking forward to Thor: Ragnarok for next year until I remembered that detail. Here's hoping they can put a different spin on it. I don't want to see my favorite Asgardian die.

4. Deadpool

I loved this movie. Ryan Reynolds is hilarious as this red-and-black clad anti-hero who the X-Men are constantly trying to recruit and reign in. Deadpool is just the right amount of sarcasm and jokes as well as the rated-R sexual character that Marvel created him to be. I didn't know how much I would love this character until I saw the movie, but I'm so glad Marvel saw fit to give Deadpool the limelight. Plus, who doesn't like a character who breaks the fourth wall?

5. The Joker

The Joker is my favorite DC villain. He's been portrayed by some of the best actors in Hollywood, some of my favorites of which have been Jack Nicholson and Heath Ledger. Both actors brought their own personal touches to the character, causing both Nicholson's Joker from Tim Burton's 1989 version of Batman and Ledger's Dark Knight Joker to become iconic. Later this year, Batman fans get to experience Jared Leto's version of the Joker in the upcoming "Suicide Squad" movie, and, just judging from the trailer, we may be in for another iconic portrayal.

6. Captain America

The First Avenger, Captain America is the ideal American soldier, circa World War II. Frozen in ice for several years, Cap awakens to find the war over and the world he knew completely gone. Talk about your culture shock. Steve Rogers (portrayed by Chris Evans) then joins the new Avengers in their quest to take down Loki's army in the Marvel movie "The Avengers."

7. Harley Quinn

Harley wasn't originally introduced into DC Comics until "Batman: The Animated Series" introduced her character in 1992. Fans took to her crazy, love-obsessed antics, so Harley was introduced into the DC Universe comic world. Formerly known as Dr. Harleen Quinzel, Harley Quinn was a psychiatrist assigned to Arkham Asylum. After meeting the Joker, Harley became obsessed with his warped mind, thus allowing herself to be manipulated by "Mr. J" and putting herself under his control. I'm super excited for the "Suicide Squad" movie because it gives Harley an introduction to the big screen DC world, alongside her "Mr. J."

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye in "The Avengers" started out being manipulated by Loki from the infinity stone in Loki's scepter. It was Black Widow who rescued him, quite literally knocking Loki's influence from Barton's head. Hawkeye gets more sarcastic and surprising as a character as the Avengers franchise continues. I personally would love to see Hawkeye get his own movie.

9. Wolverine

No one makes a better Wolverine than Hugh Jackman. Wolverine is a mutant and one of the X-Men. Originally, Wolverine had bones that extended from his hands that were used as weapons. He also possesses regenerative abilities and animal-keen senses. Wolverine was captured by a secret Canadian organization, and his skeleton was replaced with that of an Adamantium skeleton, making his skeleton completely unbreakable and his bone-claws into Adamantium claws. Wolverine has extensive combat training. When joining the X-Men, he is reluctant at first, but later joins on to protect Rogue from Magneto.

10. Thor

Another Norse mythology addition to the Marvel Universe, Thor is yet another of the Avengers. First joining with the Avengers to thwart Loki's "take over the world" plot, he ends up continuing to come back and save Earth over and over again, if only to keep it safe for the one human girl he fell for, Jane Foster. Chris Hemsworth does such an excellent job portraying this mighty Asgardian god of thunder.

11. Black Widow

Black Widow is a badass, such as her moniker implies. She is a trained Russian assassin who flips and works for S.H.I.E.L.D. along with her friend, Clint Barton, aka Hawkeye. Scarlett Johansson portrays her well, and I'm so looking forward to a Black Widow movie in the future. Perhaps it can explain what went down with her and Barton in Budapest.

12. Storm

Halle Berry can be scary sometimes. Especially when the weather can be influenced by her mood. Storm has to be one of my favorite X-Men, if not one of my favorite female X-Men. Storm is a total badass who doesn't take anyone's crap, and she's so level-headed most of the time that it's hard to imagine that this woman can create tornadoes and the like just from thinking them up. I would not want to be on Storm's bad side.

13. Wonder Woman

Okay. Who doesn't want a special magic golden lasso? Wonder Woman is a pretty cool, strong female character, and is rightfully part of the Justice League. She was first introduced in the DC world in 1941 as the Princess Diana of the immortal Amazons of Greek mythology. I'm super excited to see this character hit the big screen. I think her movie is long overdue.

14. Robin

Ah, Batman's sidekick, Robin. There have been many, the first of which was Dick Grayson. Of course, when I think of Dick Grayson, I think of Chris O'Donnell in "Batman Forever." One of the most recent versions of Robin alluded to was portrayed by Joseph Gordon Levitt in "The Dark Knight Rises." Robin has changed, gone through so many people with that moniker, including Jason Todd, Carrie Kelley, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown and Damian Wayne. Still, he remains a faithful part of Batman's team.

15. Superman

Although I'll admit to finding Henry Cavill attractive, I always liked the styling of the older Superman movies the best. The Man of Steel has gone through a few transformations throughout the years, and, while Cavill does an excellent job, I would like to see more of that classic Lois Lane love interest from the earlier Superman movies. Although, I am glad that Lois isn't as helpless now as she was then.

16. Catwoman

So, in my eyes, Joker and Harley are a package deal, making both of them number one on my list of Batman villains. This kitty cat is number two. Selina Kyle is a well-developed character in "The Dark Knight Rises," which I absolutely love. I honestly can't help comparing Michelle Pfeifer's style of Catwoman against both Halle Berry and Anne Hathaway's. Berry actually fell short for me. Hathaway's version is darker and poetic, while playing on the cunning and catlike qualities of her alter ego. Pfeifer's version was actually pretty amazing for the time that "Batman Returns" came out. Even in the television series, "Gotham," Catwoman is pretty amazing even as a petty thief. Not to mention the actress looks quite similar to Pfeifer.

17. Two-Face

Harvey Dent. The White Knight that Gotham so craved. Taken down by the Joker in "The Dark Knight," turned into the villain he is because of the scars on his face. Dent takes revenge on the Gotham PD and Batman by chance. Of course, Dent always said he made his own luck. The coin that he flipped to make decisions prior to the Joker's deadly game ends up being his instrument of torment for his victims as Two-Face, in turn, plays his own game: a coin flip for their lives. If it turns up unscorched, you live. If the scorched side turns up, you die.

18. Cyclops

Cyclops has always been my personal favorite of the X-Men. Lasers for eyes? How cool is that?! Scott is definitely a total badass, and his love for Jean Grey caused a rivalry between him and Logan. It was always fun watching them trying to one-up each other in winning her affection. Sadly, Jean's death also ends up causing Scott's demise, a little detail I hated about the X-Men movies. Thankfully, with the wave of X-Men origin stories, I get to see my Cyclops again.

19. Poison Ivy

Talk about a science experiment gone wrong. Poison Ivy started out as radical botanical biochemist Pamela Isley, but she was subjected to some pretty terrible experiments that landed her some awesome, but deadly superpowers. Her kiss and touch are lethal, her attire and gaze bewitching. She can control plants and has an immunity to toxins. Poison Ivy first hit comics in 1966 in Batman #161, and she hit the silver screen in "Batman and Robin" in 1997.

20. The Riddler

Possibly one of the most annoying Batman villains (mainly because it took me forever to figure out his riddles in the Arkham Asylum game), the Riddler is definitely one of Batman's most iconic villains. Portrayed on-screen in "Batman Forever" by Jim Carrey, the Riddler and Two-Face team up to take down the Batman. Not to mention that Two-Face killed Dick Grayson's family, causing the creation of Robin.

21. Spiderman

One of the biggest arguments in my house--at least until "The Avengers" came out--was who was better: Batman or Spiderman? I was always Batman for reasons previously aforementioned; however, I can see why Spiderman is appealing. Having been bitten by a radioactive spider, Peter Parker acquires the ability to shoot webs out of his wrists, which is pretty cool if you want to save on taxi payments and bus fare. (Of course, Batman's rich, so...) I can get behind the Spiderman movies if only for one reason: The Green Goblin. Definitely one of the coolest villains ever created.

22. The Penguin

Danny DeVito's portrayal of The Penguin in "Batman Returns" both saddened and sickened me which I guess is a good thing when you want a believable villain. I felt bad for the orphaned Oswald, but it was hard to feel really terrible for the man he'd become. It was easier to feel bad for The Penguin in the TV show, "Gotham." And the show paints the cunning side of The Penguin as opposed to DeVito's character. What can I say? I like my villains crazy or cunning.

23. The Hulk

I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of the Hulk until Mark Ruffalo took on the role. He just makes a better Bruce Banner to me. Mark Ruffalo is good at portraying a shy, misunderstood genius, and I always supposed that to be Bruce Banner. In "Age of Ultron," I loved seeing how Bruce Banner interacted with Natasha Romanova. And were there sparks flying! You know, up until he leaves as the big green guy in the end.

Marvel versus DC. Yeah, Marvel puts out more movies, but both have great, well-developed characters that audiences grow to love. What kid doesn't want to be Batman for Halloween one year then dress up as Iron Man or The Hulk the next? Who cares about the battle between companies? As long as they keep putting out the characters we love, we'll continue to watch.