MARVEL VS. DC: Who Is Killing The Game Right Now?

Which comic book adaption is the best out there?

90
Flickr

If any of you have paid attention to what movies are playing in theaters. Then you would have seen a significant rise of comic book hero movies. What I want to talk about is which comic book is winning in terms of great characters, quality of movies and the actual content seen in the movies and TV shows. So, let's get started.

First, I want to talk about the TV shows that may not be well known to everyone. Netflix has done a great job with the Marvel Shows. "Luke Cage", "Jessica Jones" and "Daredevil" are all amazing shows and I love to watch them. I haven't gotten the chance to finish "Daredevil" yet, but the first season has me hooked.

These three characters make up the Defenders along with Iron Fist who is just an unlikable character and shall not be mentioned again. These shows did a great job of exploring the characters in the best way. Cage is insanely strong, Jones is smarter than the rest of the Defenders and a one person you don't want to betray. Charlie Cox as Daredevil is a hundred times better than Ben Affleck’s attempt back in 2003.

In the comics, Iron Fist is a jerk so I guess Finn Jones does a great job at that, but this is one of the Marvel shows you could stay away from. Netflix did a great job at these shows and if you haven’t binged-watched them yet. Then you need to whether you be a comic book fan or not.

Now, let's look at the Marvel Cinematic Universe or the MCU for short. This timeline technically began with the first Captain America movie, “Captain America: The First Avenger.” Chris Evans's performance of Captain America is one that I have enjoyed since the beginning.

But, I said that the timeline technically began with Evans’ first movie.

That is true for comic book fanatics. For the movie fanatics, it started with Robert Downey Jr.’s “Iron Man” back in 2008. I am not much of a fan of the Iron Man movies, but Downey’s performance is accurate of the hero. The Avengers movies have been a staple of the summer movie hits and each one is better than the last. The newest Avengers movie, “Avengers: Infinity War” comes out May 4, 2018, and this movie is one of the biggest movies EVER.

Take all of the Marvel heroes in the past decade and throw them into one movie and you have Infinity War. Thanos is the villain and it may seem like an overkill to have all these heroes in one movie, but believe me, it is not an overkill. Thanos is one of the strongest beings in Marvel’s history and nearly unbeatable. I would explore each Marvel character and movie more thorough, but 1000 words is the limit. Moving to my favorite comics and that is DC comics.

Even though DC is my favorite, they are straight terrible in terms of their movies. The shows like “Legends of Tomorrow” and “Arrow” do pretty good, but the movies leave comic book fans begging for more and better quality. This is best seen in the “Justice League” movie. I personally think that the Justice League complete could wipe the floor with the Avengers any day.

But, if you have watched any of the recent movies, then you would think I need professional help. Superman is played by a guy who is just not likable and seems too concerned about Lois Lane than the rest of the planet. I may be showing my bias tendencies here because I have never like Superman and probably never will. I think that Batman has still not found its perfect actor to play the night vigilante. Ben Affleck isn’t the worst, but he sure wasn’t the right choice in my eyes.

The Flash on TV and in the DCEU is hilarious and Warner Bros. did something right. Gal Gadot’s performance of Wonder Woman was amazing and she is the only thing that may save the movie side of DC. My main complaint about the DC movies is that they are way too short and don’t go into depth on anything.

“Suicide Squad” should have been a success, but it fell short because you didn’t get a chance to know or understand the characters. Unless you were a comic book fan like myself, then you were absolutely lost. The “Justice League” movie didn’t do us any favors as well with short character introductions and just bad character development from everyone except Wonder Woman and the Flash. If you haven’t figured it out yet, Marvel is killing the game and the race isn’t even close. Disney knows what they are doing with their MCU and it's shows.

One bright spot that I see in the DC universe is that the animated shows are better than those of Marvel. I hate to admit it, but maybe DC should let Marvel have the real action trophy and they stick with animation for a while. Look up “The Killing Joke” which is one of the best Joker and Batman movies I have ever seen. You won’t regret it I promise.

To end, I think it has become clear that Marvel is on top of the comic book adaption game right now. While it hurts me to admit that Marvel has my DC beat. Everyone must come to the realization sooner or later. If DC just waited for this Marvel behemoth phase to past by, then maybe their movies would get better. The is a big IF though.