It's A Marshall Thing

It's A Marshall Thing

Things that only Marshall University students will understand.

211
It's A Marshall Thing
Marshall.edu

There are no two universities alike and each one is known for something signature or a cluster of things that only the students will recognize. Every university or college has pros and cons, of which both make the campus unique. There will always be things that we love and things that we dislike about our campuses but they are things that you will remember forever. At Marshall University there is a number of things that only Marshall Students will understand; so take a minute with me and appreciate our school’s love and struggle.

“In the middle of Huntington, West Virginia there is a river. Next to this river there is a steel mill. And next to the steel mill there is a school. In the middle of the school, there is a fountain. Each year on the exact same day, at the exact same hour, the water to this fountain is turned off. And in this moment once every year, through out the town, through out the school, time stands still.”

If you do not know what this quote is or where it is from, odds are you are not a Marshall student. In 1970, 75 people were in a plane crash without a single survivor. The passengers of this plane included the football team as well as coaches, staff, and supporters. If this quote does not give you chills, you may not be a Marshall student.

“Who’s got a Herd on?”

While I am on the topic of appreciation for our university, this phrase is guaranteed to get a response no matter where you are on campus or in the surrounding areas. It only takes one person to start this chain reaction: someone bold to basically strain themselves from yelling “who’s got a herd on” to get a reply of “I’ve got a herd on” from every single person around.

Thunderstruck

This may be universal but here on Marshall’s campus we take pride in this song. It can never get old and it can never be overplayed. At football games there is no doubt that the crowd will go wild when this song plays. Across Marshall this is our hype song.

Okay, okay. Enough with the sappy appreciation of our wonderful campus, it is time to display our struggles #MarshallProbs.

Rain Rain Go Away!

When the forecast says it is going to rain, if you do not slip on your rain boots you probably do not go to Marshall. Campus is very flat so water sits when it should be draining. #CityProbs or #MarshallProbs? Chances are that you will have to wade through water when crossing the street to get to your class. If you forget your rain boots, it is a guarantee you will have soaked feet and legs. From time to time the drains get full and the streets flood over cars so that is when we, the students, get creative. Tie a blow up mattress or a raft to a truck and go for a spin.

Our campus is known for not closing… E. V. E. R.

Four feet of snow on the ground with no power? Yeah, we are still having class. Well, maybe that is an exaggeration but you get it!

FEST!

An organization on our campus makes sure that students are offered a wide variety of activities and entertainment, which I love and take a huge part in. This year is FEST 3! It is usually during or around my birthday month so this is what I do to celebrate. There are national artist and local artist who perform during this fest Marshall puts together.

I really do go to a wonderful school that is full of love, appreciation, and struggles. If everything were perfect, it would not be worth it. I am honored and blessed to be a child of Marshall University. I carry that title with pride and my cup runneth over, always.

GO HERD!