To The Young Girl Who Thinks Marriage Isn't For Her

Don't be so quick to jump the conclusion that marriage isn't for you, give it a second thought.

14
Bing

I was you once; a slave to the thought that boys will never become men. As time goes by, believe it or not, you do get older and much more wise than you are right now. You will learn that not every guy is going to be your soulmate. The rose colored glasses show you how it is to lust for someone or be in lust with someone; falling in love comes when you can function without those glasses. The fear is what surfaces, and that makes you think that you don't want to get married. But do you want to be single forever? Probably not.

The fear of getting married, having kids, getting a divorce, your spouse cheating on you, etc. is a terrifying thought to have at any age and that alone will push you to say, "this is never happening." Life goes on and within the next couple of years, you'll meet the same types of guys that you had always gone for, maybe even recycled them a little bit, still with the notion that marriage and children were not going to be in the cards for you; joking with your friends that you will be the "crazy cat lady" and you start to actually come to terms with that. Don't get too comfortable though children, I'm about to lay some sick truth down for ya. Your knight in shining armor comes around and snatches those out of style rose colored glasses from your face and you damn near shit your pants because he so quickly broke down the walls that you spent YEARS building up. The reality of it is, when you find the right guy, those fears fade.

You learn to trust and you learn to give your heart away instead of just lending it to someone and getting it back with scratches and dents and bumps and bruises. This time you know that even when you argue, your heart is safe, he will protect it as best as he can. Marriage becomes a possibility now, children seem to also be a possibility. Those boys dressed in tin foil, disguised as your knight will soon become something to laugh at with your girlfriends over wine and while everyone is swooning over your engagement ring and talking about the wedding which you hadn't started to plan yet. Life doesn't necessarily get easier, but being with him makes it appear like things aren't always as bad as they seem.

Those once-stressful nights spending crying into your pillow because you and Johnny broke up for the 15th time over God only knows what, become nights of crying because you are laughing so hard at the jokes and the goofiness of the man sitting next to you on the couch. When he tells you he loves you, for the first time you'll believe him with every fiber of your being and when you reciprocate the feeling you'll literally feel like you are on cloud nine. You may fight over things, but you never go to bed without telling each other that you love the other one. You may still be angry but that's ok. Moral of the story, never say never. Keep an open mind, your prince charming will find you. He may have just gotten lost along the way and needed to stop to ask for directions.