The 8 Stages Of Coping With Mark Richt Leaving UGA Football

All good things must come to an end, Dawg Nation.

30
giphy.com

There's a lot going on between the hedges right now, between devastating injuries like Nick Chubb's and, of course, the coaching hoopla. News broke Tuesday that the Alabama Crimson Tide's defensive coordinator, Kirby Smart, will be replacing Mark Richt as the Georgia Bulldog's head coach. There have been several mixed feelings throughout all of this in Dawg Nation, but we're keeping our fingers crossed and our heads held high for the days (and hopefully wins) to come.

In light of our beloved Coach Richt leaving, though, here are the eight stages of the transition between UGA head coaches.

1. The comfortable stage.

Georgia's football seasons tend to be somewhat lackluster, with some really great victories but some really disappointing losses. We're never really bad, but we're never really good. I'm cool with that. I can't say mean things about our coach. Who can? Mark Richt is such a great guy, such a respectable man. A great coach means a great team, and the greatest team is the Georgia Bulldogs.

2. The squirming-around-in-my-seat stage.

This season isn't going well. I'm starting to hear rumors about UGA exploring alternative coaching options. I don't like hearing these rumors. I'm nervous. Am I the only one freaking out about this?

3. The complete-and-total-shock stage.

OK, maybe I saw it coming, but wait. It's actually happening? Georgia actually fired Coach Richt? He's actually leaving???

4. The grieving stage.

I'm sad. I'm really, really sad. We just lost the most respectable/respectful coach in the SEC. He did so many nice things, like when he helped the injured player from Southern University and his family, and when he made a personalized football jersey for a potential Bulldog that drowned while duck-hunting. He's such a great person, and now my heart hurts because he's gone. Raise your hand if you've ever been personally victimized by UGA athletics. *raises hand*

5. The fear-of-everything stage.

Will UGA ever find someone as great as Mark Richt? Will assistant coach and now interim head coach Bryan McClendon carry the team to a bowl game victory? Will we ever be OK again?

6. The "hmmm, OK" stage.

Now I'm hearing rumors about Dan Mullen, Kirby Smart, Jimbo Fischer, Gary Patterson or Mike Bobo taking on the job. Mullen is the head coach at Mississippi State, Smart is the defensive coordinator at Alabama, Fischer is the head coach at Florida State, Patterson is the head coach at Texas Christian and Bobo is the head coach at Colorado State. I guess any of these guys would do an OK job. I'm still very fragile and upset, though.

7. The "where did this confidence come from?" stage.

OK, I can work with Kirby Smart. Surely I'll never love him as much as I love Richt, but let's get this thing going. Nick Saban spared us a small piece of his football empire, so surely this will work out. Welcome to our wonderful world full of red and black, Smart.

8. The finding-of-inner-peace stage.

OK, Richt got another job and he's happy and the world is going to be OK. Thank you, Miami, for keeping our boy in good hands. I know he'll do great things as the head coach of the Miami Hurricanes.

How can you not love this guy and want the best for him? Glory, glory, y'all.