Mardi Gras Enlightenment

Mardi Gras Enlightenment

Oh the things that cross your mind among tides of people.

36
Mardi Gras Enlightenment
Abbi Thomas

Even though it’s been a few weeks, more like months, I’m bringing it back up partially because I miss everything about Mardi Gras and partially because my experiences this year were more on the enlightening side. Now that I’ve had some time to reflect on my memories, and meditate on these things that were crossing my mind in the midst of mobs of people, I feel they’re article- worthy. You may not agree with what I’m about to say and that’s okay. You don’t have to and I certainly don’t expect everybody to jump on the bandwagon.

If you’ve ever been to New Orleans, you’ve probably (hopefully) gathered that it’s a different and unique place. The city-wide block party that is Mardi Gras only highlights those qualities. However, those who wander away from Bourbon see that the festivities go beyond drinking and eating all you possibly can just for sport. I’ll spare you a lecture on the holiday’s history and simply say this: Mardi Gras itself has roots in pagan traditions, the festivities we see are steeped in decades of tradition, and are firmly rooted into Louisiana’s culture. It's not all just flashing boobs for beads.

As I was standing among fellow revelers and lovers of good times, watching cops interact with kids, people scream for beads, pass their catches off to kids, and make small talk with strangers around them, the turmoil our country currently finds itself in also flashed through my mind. In the days and weeks that followed, as our President tried his best to turn our nation upside down, that thought has stuck with me; one very small corner of the world is doing its thing, just having a ball. Meanwhile, the rest of the world is obnoxiously and unreasonably asserting their opinions, burning bridges over political and religious views, forgetting their own heritage as immigrants to this great nation, and whatever else kids are busy doing these days.

Life is short. When you spend 99.9% of it bickering and being caught up in the tide of misery, fear, and ridiculousness, you might forget to step back and take a look at the smaller picture. I guarantee you'll find you're missing out on the fun stuff going on around you. More importantly, you miss your chance to step back and shake it off for a second. That chance, my friends, is important to your health and everyone else’s for that matter.

On the same note, the world (United States of America, I’m talking to you) should take notes from the Big Easy for this reason: No matter what the latest hot social media debate is, what is going on in the outside world, or even within its own communities, people always find a reason to let loose and party in Louisiana. That's just how life is, laid-back, or "laissez-faire," as the French might say.

The real bottom line is: don’t waste all your energy partaking in the idiocy and making yourself miserable. Everything around you may seem to be falling to pieces and you will have to stand up for what is truly right and defend it as best you can. But it will all be okay because despite all that, there is probably plenty of good happening in the community around you.

Moving forward to thought number two: On Mardi Gras Day, I stood at Lee Circle watching people of all ethnicities, genders, and walks of life celebrating in harmony under a hotly debated statue of a Confederate general. For the second year in a row, it amazed me how, despite disagreements and differences, we can put it all aside and exist in harmony. In that moment, seeing all these people just having a good time with family, friends, or complete strangers, proved to me that the things we choose to obsess over often aren't as important as we think.

Why we all choose to obsess over the little things about how people choose to live and other things about the world that we just can't control is beyond me, especially when other more pressing issues are staring us right in the face.

Our country, as a whole, has lost sight of what is truly important; we've forgotten what it means to put our differences aside in order to come together as a community and fight for what's best for everyone, not just the individual and in some cases, the purity of his or her religion; we're so busy trying to keep "friends" up-to-date on our daily activities via Snapchat that we've forgotten how to genuinely value relationships and connections with other humans that extend or even exist beyond a phone screen. Anybody else think it's time for a reality check?

Another thought that's kind of an offshoot from the previous one comes from simply conversing with strangers in parade crowds, witnessing cops allowing kids to wear their vests and hats before a parade, and seeing random acts of kindness and some of hate all around me.

That thought is this: people make the world go 'round.

Not money. Not politics. Not religion. People. Everyday common people like you and me make this world what it is. Our decisions, our mistakes, our conversations, our interactions, our histories, and everything about our ordinary lives and what we choose to do with them make the world what it is. When you strike up a conversation with the stranger next to you, you know nothing about them or where they come from. You realize we're all just humans out here trying to make the most the life we're given in this big ole world. But when you do strike up that random conversation, a little light is shed on somebody else's story. To me, learning about different people and hearing what they have to say will show you a lot about this country, sometimes even the world.

Think of it this way, each person on this planet is like an individual, brightly colored, or glittering thread that makes up an ornate tapestry. All those threads intertwine to create one great masterpiece. That, my friends, is pretty powerful to me.

So, I say all that to say that no matter how much our nation's forefathers may be rolling in their graves at their laughing-stock of a "successor," wondering how all they worked for will ever regain some semblance of unity, peace, and tolerance, it will. Until we get there, don't get caught up in all of it and forget to appreciate the wonderful things and people that are right outside your door.