Man's Best Friend

We have all heard the countless sayings about why dogs are such great companions. Man’s best friend has time and time again proved to be better than the human race in many different categories.

From their lack of rude comments to their unconditional support, dogs have always been our number one furry friend. They’ve sniffed out bombs overseas, they’ve helped the blind navigate through life, and have even licked away our tears in times of sadness. Long story short, dogs are amazing and here are my top three reasons why I think everyone should have a dog.

Blame the dog: 

While this may seem wrong and a little bit weird of reason to have a dog, it comes in handy more than you would think. Remember yesterday when you were running late and knocked over that black nail polish onto your boyfriend’s rug? Well I promise you he will be far more forgiving to that adorable four legged friend than to the girlfriend who was late picking him up from work. Dogs have a “Get Out of Jail Free Card” with just about anything and surely won’t tell if you happen to use it once or twice. Haven’t you ever heard of taking one for the team?

Unconditional love and support:

During your time in college you meet many people. You get the opportunity to find your bridesmaids, best friends, and hopefully the guy of your dreams. But the sad truth is that life isn’t perfect. Friends drift apart, boys will come and go, and you will start to learn that as you transition from freshman to senior year, your family visits less and less. While college is a time of exciting new things and relationships many of them do not last. However, have a dog in your life and I promise you this will never be a problem. Dogs do not care about the fact that you woke up in the same clothes you went out in last night and that you haven’t brushed your hair in an entire week. They do not care that you are the prime example of the freshman fifteen and that you just finished binge watching Grey’s Anatomy for the third time this year. Dogs give love and friendship without asking for anything in return.

Getting you ready for the real world:

As you grow older responsibility becomes more and more of a reality. We no longer have mom washing our clothes or dad fixing our car. We are slowly but surely transitioning into adults pretending that we know what we are doing. That is why I believe having a dog is a great start to learning responsibility and taking care of others. As long as you feed them, walk them, and play with them they truly believe that you are the most amazing specimen that has ever blessed this earth with your presence. Dogs are always great for getting us off of the couch and into the real world. They remind us that there are far more exciting things in the backyard than on your cellphone that you’ve been staring at for the last three hours. 

As you can see dogs are the best sidekick anyone could have. They will keep your secrets, make you smile, and even be your super lovable wingman when the two of you are out and about. They won’t judge you for choosing wine over chapter last night and surely won’t tell anyone about it either. Friends come and go but dogs will always hold a special place in our hearts.