Stress is Serious

Stress is Serious

No matter the cause, stress can create interruptions in your daily life. It's time for a us to help ourselves.

16
Stress is Serious

I am very prone to stress. I am always on the go, and I really hate to step back. I am constantly busy, and if I'm not active I feel useless. Yet, the truth is, it is an unhealthy way of life. I am so consumed with the fast pace of life and the needs of others that sometimes I neglect myself. It is time that we acknowledge our own needs, for our sanity and health. While there are many psychological effects of overwhelming stress, there is also physical effects too.

Identify your stress:

We are entering into the portion of the fall semester where the pace is quickening and stress is piling up. Papers are due, exams are occurring, and lack of understanding with materials comes. Sometimes it's life stressors: A sick grandad, a failing relationship, tensions with parents, or it can even financial troubles. Stress can also be positives, not just negatives. My best friend is getting married, I know that it is very stressful and a lot planning just adds onto her pressures. Weddings are supposed to be a very exciting occasion, but they can bring some stress too. Stress is a part of our everyday lives. It can bring some benefits, as a needed push to finish things before a deadline or even keep us safe in a dangerous situations. While there can be some positive outcomes of stress, there can also be negative physical and psychological portions.

Common effects of stress:

- Decreased focus

- Consistent worrying

- Avoidance of daily tasks

- Increased agitation

- Tension and/ or headaches

- Changes in sleep and/ or eating habits

There are many others that are not listed, but they can produce interruptions in daily life. If any of these symptoms are appearing to grow to becoming a large issue for you or someone you know, then it is okay to reach out to someone and ask for help. It is important to watch out for yourself and others in managing your stress. I'm going to give you some methods to keeping stress under control.

Manage your stress:

- Time management skills are very important to keep you on track for accomplishing your goals.

- Try making a goal setting sheet. It will help to improve your mood and reduce worries.

- Avoid procrastination. It can affect your quality of work, knowledge attained, sleep, and mood. Last minute responsibilities can add mental and physical stressors.

- Exercise has been clinically proven to reduce the amount of stress we are under. It helps to burn the bad energy created by stress.

- Attempt to keep a well balanced sleep schedule. Sleep deprivation can lead to many physical and mental issues and can induce stress.

- Try meditation

- Take times throughout your day to decompress, breathe deep, and relax to manage the accumulation of stress over the day.

- Journaling. I utilize this very often. I either write my feelings or make a list of the things that are bothering me at that time.

- Set realistic expectations for yourself. You are only one person, remember that.

- Plan things for yourself. Take the time to focus on you and what will help you.

- Remember that short comings are a part of the path to achievement. Everyone experiences failures on their way to success.

- Find the joy in life. Laughter be a stress-reducer.

- Find your support system. It is important to have people in place who you can vent to and locate your points of stress.

- Locate the positives throughout your day. There is good in everyday, it is just a matter of finding it.

Stress can unknowingly take the front seat in our lives. Before we know it we are living our lives for the purpose of stress. It is important for us to see the stress in our lives and do our best to limit it to a minimum. Pay attention to what works best for you and your needs, and try not to neglect yourself. At the end of the day, you matter just as much as you're stresses. Take care of yourselves, and if all else fails then dance it out.