Managing Anxiety In College

Managing Anxiety In College

It's harder than we think.

160

We've officially hit the point in the semester where everyone feels like they are hanging on by a thread. Finals are coming up way too soon, and not everyone knows whether or not they'll make it through their classes. Most of us are forgetting how to breathe under the pressure. Seeing as it's my first semester in college, I never realized the toll this can take if you forget to take care of yourself.

Grades are only a tiny portion of the craziness we see in college, but at times, they seem to be the primary source of our stress. Personally, I have a few of my own signs of stress and anxiety to look out for. Sometimes, I might forget to eat. I'll struggle to feel like I'm getting enough sleep, and I'll feel like I'm starting to get sick. These things may seem minuscule at a first glance, but over time, they can cause your body to deteriorate.

As the year and semester come to a close, I encourage all my fellow college students to schedule time out of each day to breathe. In a few week's time, many of us on campus now will be back home, sleeping in way comfier beds, eating legitimate food, and possibly celebrating holidays with our families. No matter what your plans for the break may be, use the New Year as an opportunity to grant yourself another fresh start.

Remember, the late night cramming sessions are only going to be a small portion of the college experience we remember years from now. Before we know it, we'll all have left college and found our own paths in life, and some of us might even be sending off our own kids to a University of their choosing.

By then, we'll forget the anxieties surrounding individual classes ever carried the weight of the world.