To My Male Coworkers With Aggressive Behavior, Every Woman Is Sick Of Your Ignorance

We earned our spots in the workplace just like you did, so if we could get some respect, it would be much appreciated.

Keleri
Keleri
72

On Monday morning when I went to work, I found out that one of my male coworkers had said in a random conversation, "I can control any woman if I put my hands around her throat." While this sentence might be out of context, it certainly wasn't appropriate to be said in the workplace. At least half of my coworkers are female. And unfortunately, this isn't an isolated incident.

Over the past three years that I've worked there, I've seen instances like this over and over again with almost no retribution. After this particular incident, he got away with a warning to not say anything like it again. This wasn't the first time that he had said (or done) something in line with the statement. And after seeing this cycle over and over again, I have to say I'm really sick of it.

I'm sick and tired of the aggressive and hostile behavior in the workplace.

Yes, several of you are probably about a foot taller than me and could easily toss me if you wanted. But frankly, just because I'm smaller and a female doesn't give you an excuse to make these remarks around me. I don't care what the context was.

The coworker that said this to me has a daughter. I can't remember how old she is, but I know she's younger than me, and I feel awful for her. She's going to have to live with the toxicity that her dad spits out about women, and eventually, that might even change her own perspective of herself into something negative.

The thing is, even if your negativity isn't directed at me, it also kind of is. When you say these things at the workplace that you and I both share, it makes me, not to mention every other female that works there, feel pretty offended and hurt.

Because why would you even say something like that? Why would there be a need for you to say something like that?

Yes, we get paid to be there, so please don't make the workplace uncomfortable for us. At the end of the day, all I'm trying to do is sell burgers to hungry customers, and that can already be stressful enough without worrying about potential violence in the workplace.

I'm not sure if you guys realize this, but we've already lost so many employees because of your behavior. I can think of at least three people who have left just to get away from the environment you create for us.

It's not healthy, it's not productive, and it honestly makes the workplace miserable for everyone there.

I don't think I'm asking for a lot. I just want you guys to reconsider your thought process and maybe realize that we're just as valuable of employees as you are.