On Making Music and Growing As A Rap Artist

Interview with Nizz Sentine

9
https://www.facebook.com/robert.sentine

Nizz Sentine is a half Panamanian and Honduran Rapper/Hip-hop artist from Brooklyn, NY. With Influences that range from the Beastie Boys to James Brown, there is just no telling what he will really write next. Sentine has had artistic blood in those veins since Grammar School. It didn’t take long to for him to realize he was born to play a part in the entertainment arena. “When I got to high school I was in the school band, poetry club and into dancing. I've always been a huge fan of hip hop but didn't try to pursue it until after I graduated.” Since then Sentine has performed in many places such as Rutgers University and Café Sol. He still continues to make a name for himself in a music game that leaves no guarantees of fame for even the greatest rapper. “When I first started it was all about just proving that I can rap but I've done that. So now it's about showing you that there is more to me than that. I need people to know who exactly Nizz Sentine is and why he is that way.” You can find Sentine’s music You tube, sound cloud, bandcamp and ITunes. Happy Listening !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

My Name is Nizz Sentine and I am a half Panamanian half Honduran 29 year old who was born in Brooklyn, NY but raised in Jersey City NJ.

What genre do you consider your work to be?

I consider my work to be simply rap/hip hop. I make music based on the things that I'm into and the type of lifestyle in which I live.

Who are your major influences musically?

Wow, I have so many... There's run dmc, the Beastie boys, LL Cool J (who's my favorite of all time), Public Enemy, Wu tang clan, tribe called quest, notorious B.I.G, Beanie Sigel. But I have non rap influences as well because I enjoy soul/R&B music. Rick James, James Brown, Michael Jackson, New Edition, Stevie wonder,Prince, New Edition,Luther Vandross, Boys 2 Men and Jodeci.

What made you want to pursue a career in music?

Well I've been into the arts ever since grammar school. In grammar school I was in the drama club. When I got to high school I was in the school band, poetry club and into dancing. I've always been a huge fan of hip hop but didn't try to pursue it until after I graduated. My poetry slowly became song lyrics. Also It is something that I really enjoy to do. The whole writing process and the energy that I get when I'm on stage is the best feeling ever.

Where have you performed?

I Have performed at Hudson county community college, Rutgers University, The dopeness (a lounge/performance area that used to be in jersey city), Lit lounge,The Flat, Seed Gallery, Club Transmission, Webster Hall, SOB'S, The Fire, Cafe sol, Union Republic and Lot 13.

Do you have a favorite place where you have performed?

My best show thus far/this year has been at SOB'S in NYC, there was an awesome amount of people that came out and I got to do an interview with legendary Hip Hop video music box host Mr.Ralph McDaniels.

What can fans expect from you this time as a solo artist that you have not done on previously in other projects?

People can expect growth, My 1st project was written out of anxiousness to just have something out, but this time around I'm more so taking my time and focusing on sharing my views of my experiences from my last project to this one.

When it comes to writing music, what do you like to write about the most?

I try to not write about love as much anymore because it's honestly the easiest thing to write about. I try to base songs on whatever are the first few words that come out of my mouth. If I start off with "I hate my job" boom there it is and etc.

When it comes to making a new record or song, what is the process like for that?

Well it depends on the beat and how I feel in the moment in which I'm listening to that beat. Other times it can depend on if I already have a topic in my head, I ask how do I want it to start or what do I want the rhyme pattern to sound like?

How has your music changed since you first started?

When I first started it was all about just proving that I can rap but I've done that so now it's about showing you that there is more to me than that. I need people to know who exactly Nizz Sentine is and why he is that way.

Where do you see yourself musically within the next few years?

Hopefully touring somewhere and being paid for my talents because working sucks. Don't get me wrong my current job pays well but if I can make money doing what I love to do then I would pick that over a 9-5 any day. It's not even about being famous. Fame is cool but I just want to able to at least be able to be financially stable from my art.

What is the hardest challenge you had to face in your career? If resolved, how did you get past it?

Hmmm, 2 of the hardest challenges I've had were 1. Developing a sound for myself. I remember when I first recorded myself in a studio and the producer played it back to me and I absolutely hated the way my voice sounded. I left the studio immediately and didn't record anything for a year until I developed how I wanted to sound. 2. I had to develop a stage presence next. I know a lot of cats that can rap but can't perform on stage to save their lives. I had to make sure that my breathing techniques are correct, my energy levels are always high and that I always engage with the crowd. There's nothing worse than a poor performer on stage.

How can fans to be gain access to your music?

Search for Nizz Sentine on You tube, sound clound, bandcamp, itunes, dat piff. And you can also add me on my social media my twitter/IG are Nizz_sentine and my Snapchat is Nizzofearth.

Is there anyone you would personally like to thank for supporting your over the years?

I would have to thank Charles Bowers, He's kind of like advisor with this music stuff and I am an artist under his label "Golden Era Music Group". My friend/Partner Vincent, The Owl who always has my back and God who gives me the strength to breathe and live every day.