An Itinerary For This Christmas Season

An Itinerary For This Christmas Season

Making a List, Checking it Twice

6
An Itinerary For This Christmas Season
Pixabay.com

Christmas is fast-approaching... seems like it comes sooner every year! I think the saying really is true that the planning and anticipation for something exciting is almost as fun as the big day itself. Christmas of course is such a wonderful day, remembering the incredible gift of Jesus. Families get together, gifts are given. But there truly is something special about the days leading up to it as well. Call them cheesy, stereotypical, or unnecessary, but there are so many activities to participate in, scenes to take in, and traditions to create during the month of December. Here is a list of them you and I should definitely try to get in on!

Go See the Lights

There are so many cool lit-up houses and businesses out there! Go on an adventure to seek some out or look up an area where there are some well-known, annual displays. Have you ever seen lights set to music? They might not be able to be seen from space, but I'm sure Clark Griswold would approve!

Incorporate Some Peppermint

Order that peppermint hot chocolate (my favorite)! Take advantage of the seasonal goodies like eggnog shakes and sprinkled star-shaped cookies, because unless you're Starbucks, those flavors and treats might disappear with Santa's sleigh.

Watch an Old Christmas Movie

There's something so cozy and peaceful about watching an old Christmas classic! Sip some cocoa (peppermint, anyone?) and pile on the blankets with friends and family. We cannot let these movies go out of style! Bonus points for black and white, and even more points for a silent movie... are there such things?!

Watch Elf

Okay, I am a little biased on this one because it happens to be my absolute favorite Christmas movie, and is fairly high up on the list of my general favorites as well. But, seriously. Watch it at least once. If Buddy doesn't get you in the spirit, well, then you must just be an angry elf.

Put Up the Tree

This seems to be a given for most people. But really try to make an event out of it! Set aside an evening where, uninterrupted, you and your family or friends can set up the tree (whether it's artificial or real... I won't even touch on that whole debate!) and decorate it. Reminisce about old ornaments and laugh about tree mishaps of Christmas past. (One year, my family's tree ended up falling over three times... I think we're still picking needles up off the floor!)

Attend Some Concerts, Christmas Walks, or Other Events

Christmas spirit can't be contained in your house. Get out there and share in it! Go to a Holiday Pops concert or a stop on a singer's Christmas tour. My town has an annual "Downtown Christmas" where various businesses open up and offer yummy goodies and decorated windows and trees. There is so much Christmas anticipation in the air at events like these and such a sense of community and love - whether you know the person sitting beside you or not!

Join the Crowds at the Mall

I may have lost some people at this one. Join the craziness? Yes. Online shopping is convenient. In stores, lines can be long. People can be rude. Coupons frustratingly expire before our very eyes. But, like the last item on this list, you can't deny the giddy, anticipatory feelings circulating through the air. It may be hard to recognize when you're frantically searching for the right gift or waiting in a never-ending line, but try not to let these setbacks spoil the whole experience for you. Everyone is in the same "sled" as you, all trying to buy their gifts, so make the most of it! Be forgiving and take some deep breaths if you need to, but appreciate the feeling of unity with your fellow shoppers.

Break out the Christmas Albums

Stash CDs in your car, create a Spotify playlist, fill the season with songs! Many radio stations become Christmas central around this time, too! My favorite album currently is Michael Buble's Christmas. Tweaking some old Christmas favorites, and adding a new song of his own ("Cold December Night," which I have played over and over again!), his album has a track to please everyone! (Lovers of big band sound will especially appreciate the tunes!) Steven Curtis Chapman, For King and Country, and Chris August have some impeccable Christmas albums as well. Throw in some Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Irving Berlin, and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer," too!

Relish the Time with Family and Friends

Many, many more activities could be added to this list, but the most important thing is living in the moment with those you love. Go sledding, read The Night Before Christmas, write your notes to Santa, but don't forget the people around you! Laugh and love and give and appreciate all you can.