Making The Case For Florida State Basketball

6

With football season long gone, and baseball season still a few months away, FSU sports lovers are left with a two- month gap in which many say nothing happens on the sport scene. Well, I am here to prove you wrong.  

Often overlooked at FSU are both the men’s and women’s basketball program. I know FSU is a football school, and Tallahassee is a football town, but we are lucky enough to have to programs that shine in the ACC, year in and year out, while playing in front of crowds that could barely fill a section of Doak Campbell Stadium. 

The men’s team, led by Coach Leonard Hamilton, are currently in the midst of a slight down year, but have still managed to put many good ACC teams on the ropes. The women’s team has compiled a 16-2 record, and has jumped from unranked to #19 in just a month and half.  

Why you should care about the men’s team.     

They play in the best conference in college basketball, at the moment. The ACC currently has the number two, four and six teams in the rankings, plus two more in the Top 25. Beyond that, the unranked teams still provide formidable competition, shown most recently by NC State's upset of number four Duke. In the last decade, FSU has the third most wins out of ACC teams, behind only Duke and North Carolina. We have produced a handful of NBA draft picks, not to mention dozens of others who play overseas. 

While we are in a down year, this year -- only going 9-9 so far -- they have had their high points, like beating Florida on a last second tip in by their own guy. There is also plenty to look forward to in the future. Florida State currently has the third ranked recruiting class, with two five-star Blue chip recruits getting ready to come in next year. With the Civic Center newly renovated, a young team that is stocking up on recruits, and a smart and seasoned head coach at the helm, there is no reason not to be excited by what;s to come for the men. 

Why you should care about the women’s team.

I understand, women’s basketball is not a hot topic anywhere you are. But let me tell you, our team is legit. First of all, our coach is a legend. Sue Semrau has been coaching at FSU for 18 years, now, during which she has compiled a 60.6% win percentage, including two conference regular season titles, and 10 NCAA tournament visits. While not headlined by a star, although we did send a girl to the WNBA last year -- Natasha Howard -- who was taken with the sixth overall pick, we do have a solid team that is mixed with under and upperclassman. 

Currently, four girls are averaging double digits in scoring, and Adut Bulgak -- a former JUCO National player of the year -- is nearly averaging a double-double. Just this last Sunday, they went up against Duke, a top-10 team and a perennial powerhouse in women’s hoops, and handily beat them after going into halftime down three. They, then, dismantled a Pittsburgh team coming off a good conference win. This weekend, they travel to Virginia Tech looking to continue their ACC win streak. Look for this team to make big waves come tournament time.  

I know this plea is borderline useless for the audience that is Florida State University. However, basketball is making its own case to be relevant, not only on campus, but here in Tallahassee and Florida as a whole. Attendance is terrible at games, but when a college team goes on a run, and a crowded arena gets behind them and cheers, there is nothing like it in sports.