Making The Most Out Of Your New Year's Resolutions

Whether you consider it an opportunity to change bad habits or a way to continue cultivating the person you are proud to be, this task of outlining your year may turn out to be more helpful than you think.

43
https://pixabay.com/en/resolutions-2019-new-year-s-day-3889989/

The time has officially come. We have champagne popped our way into the new year & it's time to pick up our pens to write our "New Year's Resolutions". This task of writing down our goals is a way to perpetuate growth within ourselves and continuously leave us aiming higher. Plenty of us know that by the time February 1st rolls around, many resolutions are beginning to fade, but here are a few ways to make the most out of your new year's resolutions.

Be prepared to work for your goalsĀ 

Let's be real- if you're a couch potato dreaming of a "healthy, fit new year", you're going to have to work for it. Often times when we create extreme desires for the new year, we leave out the part that draws our path to reach those goals. By creating realistic objectives, we not only have the opportunity to actually achieve them, but also engrave the idea to KEEP GOING. Just like anything in life, goals are something you have to work for- you can't expect them to be placed in you lap. So don't be discouraged if you're not reaching it fast enough, but rather ask yourself, "Is this a challenge I can take on?"

Do a weekly or bi-weekly self check up

When we are passionate about things, we dedicate our time to them. Whether it be an activity, a person, or a subject, our goals should be just as important as our passions. Take, for example, your studies or work- when an assignment is due, we make note of the importance of that deadline, and this time-management strategy can also be applied to our New Year's Resolutions. From setting a reminder in your phone to writing a note on your fridge, there are various ways you can check in on your progress. These reminders can serve as a way to reflect on your growth or alter your plan for the future.

Rewrite your goals in multiple spots

Shoutout to my teachers for proving the importance of reiteration!!! Write your goals on your bathroom mirror, on a sticky note attached to your brush, on the corner of your windshield, or even your work desk. This will constantly remind you of the goals you are working towards one step at a time- from the small ones to the big ones.

Reward yourself

Keep yourself motivated by rewarding yourself when you accomplish a goal. If you are aiming for a healthier lifestyle, reward yourself with a sweet treat once a week. It is important to remind ourselves of not only our accomplishments, but also our failures. Everyone has their own perspective of "reward", so find yours and live for it.

Inform others about your goals

One of the strongest forms of motivation comes from those who surround us. From family members to friends and teachers, there are many people who influence who we are. Find someone who you consider inspirational and inform them of your New Year's Resolutions, ask them to follow up with you to assure your progress, or even ask if they have tips on how you can take the next step towards your goals. This system provides an extra pair of eyes to ensure you achieve your goals.

I challenge you to send an email to your future self at https://www.futureme.org/. You can send it to yourself a year ahead or a specific date of your choice, but the reflection is just for you. Give your future self-goals to accomplish, ask yourself if your year is going as planned, or simply reflect on the person you've become and the reward of continuously growing to be the best that you can be, even when it doesn't start on January 1st.

"Year's end is neither an end nor a beginning but a going on, with all the wisdom that experience can instill in us" -Hal Borland