The Struggles Of Finding A Major And Minor In College

The Struggles Of Finding A Major And Minor In College

How do you decide? I'm making a list in an attempt to help!

47
Personal Image
Reese Walker

Choosing a Major is never easy, especially when we live in a world of infinite opportunity. It seems daunting, because what if we choose wrong and screw our whole life over? Well, I'm here to share some tips with you to help with that fear.

1. "What are you passionate about?"

Okay, so this is the most cliche, overused line in the history of college life, but it boils down to something true. One thing I find crucially important in this question is the word "passion."

And here's what passion means to me: Something you love so deeply that it makes you thrive. So, when you wake up in the morning, what drives you to get up and start your day?

Is there something interesting you truly enjoy doing?

It can even be what shows you watch, the topics they cover are usually interesting to you if you're watching them, so consider something in that field.

You like criminal minds? What does a major or minor in that look like? You read books? Have you considered English?

It's pretty easy when you break it down and find purpose in what you're doing

2. Try again, and again, and again...

Here's the super cool thing about Majors and Minors that some people are too scared to tell you: You can declare your major literally as many times as you want, and people do it all the time.

I'm serious, I don't know many people who declare a major day one of freshman year and don't end up changing some aspect of it.

Once you're in college, majors and minors seem a lot less daunting because there's a world of opportunity and different people to help guide you.

3. INTERN AND VOLUNTEER

Aside from anything academic related, this is just a PSA: interning and volunteering is the most rewarding, hands-on experience you will have in college so JUST DO IT.

And in relation to majors and minors, interning and volunteering throws you full force into a field of study and shows you practice what it would be like to work in that academic category.

Companies and organizations are looking for young people to help out, so it's something you should always be considering constantly.

Internships and volunteer opportunities are also just good in general for making connections and making people who can help you get your foot in the door of future endeavors.

4. Lastly, don't stress!

I think this is probably the most important point I could make towards choosing what you want to do. It seems like a huge decision because it seems like the decision that begins the rest of your life.

But I'm here to tell you that you figure it out, and things will be okay. If you spend your entire college career stressed about your future, you'll ruin your future.

At the end of the day, just take things one day at a time and set schedules and deadlines for yourself. Through all of that, you're going to find things that interest you and professors that can help you turn a sparked interest into a flame that leads you to what you eventually study.

Just have fun, let yourself live and you'll find what you want to do along the way, I promise.

At the end of the day, as long as you're doing what you love and are happy and content, then you've made the right choice. Enjoy life through your major! If classes seem boring to you, branch out and try something else! I promise you'll figure it out because we all do.