4 Major Cities That Need Sports Franchises

4 Major Cities That Deserve (Another) Sports Franchise

One thing that brings fans across the country together is sports, but some of the biggest cities in America don't have or only have one of the major four American sports leagues.

12

Throughout history, teams have moved across the country, switched conferences, and broken the hearts of fans across the country. Some major markets in the United States don't have any major sports team or are missing a major sports league that could be a game changer (pun intended) for an increase in viewership. Some of these could happen, some of these have been in rumblings of happening, and some of these have never been mentioned before, but they do make total sense in the right situation.

1. Louisville (MLB)

baseball

When one of the biggest suppliers of baseball bats in the world is located within this city, you would figure they would an MLB team playing. But no, not a single professional sports team is located in the city, not even in the state of Kentucky. Baseball is always looking to move teams and bring new markets which would bring fans into the sport. With some teams, like the Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago White Sox, they have shown some of the smallest attendance in recent baseball memory. Moving a team to a city that has been a quintessential part of the development of baseball throughout its history only makes sense.

2. Seattle (NBA)

basketball

In 2006, the NBA screwed over the city of Seattle worse than an undercover cop performing a drug bust. The NBA promised that Seattle would get its team back, but over the past 13 years, it has looked like there is no team that is wanting to move to Seattle. Unlike Louisville, there aren't many NBA teams that you could move to Seattle, the only team with the best chance of moving to Seattle would be the Sacramento Kings.

3. Charlotte (MLB)

charlotte

In the southeast, the only team that fans can cheer for are the Atlanta Braves, which is a 4-hour drive for most fans in the Carolina's. Moving a team to Charlotte could allow for fans not to drive as far as they would if they were to go to SunTrust Park in Atlanta. The Charlotte Knights, who play in BB&T Stadium, always draw in a large crowd throughout the season. With Charlotte being right in the middle of NASCAR country, drivers would come out to the game, which can lead to promotional opportunities. There could also be a rivalry with the Atlanta Braves, which would give fans from South Carolina and Virginia a "local" team that they can cheer for.

4. Cincinnati (NHL)

hockey

This isn't even a hard one to do, there is an NHL team, might I add, one of the worst NHL Teams in the league, in Arizona. Why there is even a team in Arizona when there are blue moons in a year than there are ice citings in Arizona? Cincinnati is a northern city, which sees much, much more ice than Arizona does. It could spark a new rivalry with the Columbus Blue Jackets, as well as fans from Lexington, who love their UK Hockey and would love to see a team come that isn't 3 hours away like Nashville is.