How to Maintain Friendships as an Adult

How to Maintain Friendships as an Adult

Friendships as an Adult
1248

As we grow older, it can be difficult to maintain friendships. While high school and college are times when many of us make friends, our work lives and families can often get in the way of forging new friendships. The following guide provides simple tips and tricks on how to maintain friendships as an adult.

In college, being friends with your roommate or classmate is easy. Since you see these people on a daily basis, becoming friends with them feels natural. However, making new friends as an adult requires a slightly different approach.

Many people become friends with their colleagues, but this can cause some problems. It's often difficult to let loose around coworkers in the same way as you do with friends outside the workplace. Since colleagues are tied to an individual's employment, people can often be guarded in these types of friendships.

Fortunately, there are a number of other ways to make new friendships as an adult. One of the best ways is by joining a casual sports team or starting a social hobby. There are a variety of competitive sports, such as amateur football and basketball, that can be a great way to bond with new people.

For those that don't have an interest in regular sports, there are a variety of alternatives. These could include kayaking, skydiving, paintball, spelunking, and much more. Since all these activities usually involve larger groups of people, they can be a great way to make new friends.

When making new friends as an adult, it's important to remember that others may not be able to make the same time commitments that they could when they were younger. While life as a college student may leave a lot of free time for friendships, life as an adult often involves a balance between work life and family life. This can leave little time for friendships. In some cases, it might be easier to make friends with other people in the same neighborhood.

Setting up playdates with a neighbor's children can be a great way to make new friends who are also parents. Most parents face many of the same issues, and these challenges can serve as a powerful way to bond with others. In addition, most parents face similar time crunches, so they'll understand that you might not be able to devote a ton of time to a specific friendship.

Finally, it's important to remember that friendships take work to be successful. If you expect someone else to put in all the heavy lifting when it comes to friendship, you'll face significant disappointment. Friendships require effort from both parties. If you lean too heavily on another person when it comes to making plans and setting up events, you'll find that they may be less willing to include you in the future. To avoid this type of issue, it's a good idea to make sure that you also provide value as a friend.

By learning how to maintain friendships as an adult, everyone can lead a more fulfilled life filled with great relationships.