I Moved From Maine to New York and Here Is What I Discovered

1853
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2017/09/27/636421408834815995-2050867770_C7770961-96F1-454D-9BCA-51C1052677FB.jpg

My first Uber experience left me with a potential trip to the ER, a few tears, and an unappreciated sigh from my Uber driver—basically, traumatizing.

After this totally skewed first impression of what this city would be like, I thought of my Freshman self, now with a somewhat torrential headache and the determination to make it to work without looking distraught.

What was I doing, roughly eight hours away from home, not having the ability to properly step into an Uber without gouging my head off the overhead television from the inside of his SUV? And also, why was he the one sighing?

After opening the app and seeing how poorly this Uber driver rated me as a passenger afterwards, I realized this really was the absolute worst impression of public transportation and friendliness of this city, but I can tell you everything went uphill from here, thankfully. My new-found discoveries of this city have either left me with a feeling of satisfaction with the relating characteristics to my hometown, Maine, or in complete utter shock.

1. People are just as friendly in central New York.

If you’ve ever been to New York City, you know some of the blank expressions, remarks, and in-acknowledgement you’ll receive from many.

Although I love the city with all my heart, it is much to my surprise that in Syracuse, most people are super friendly. I cannot explain the amount of strangers who have initiated random conversation, complimented my outfits, asked to hang out, or even have simply smiled.

I only thought these friendly smiles and conversation happened in places like Portland, ME, where I’m from, but this connection makes me feel like I’m still living in Maine with the expressive and friendly bystanders. (Sorry New York City, much love)

2. THE WEATHER

Okay, so I do not have much to talk about for this topic yet, but stay tuned in about a month or so. So far, the weather in Syracuse, NY is gorgeous.

I am not the type of person to complain about heat, (as I may or may not have spent the entire last day before I moved in to SU at Ogunquit Beach in Maine), but the weather has almost been too gorgeous. It’s been 90 degrees for about a week, and my closet has been designated to the cold winters which I heard absolutely horrendous, so my wardrobe has not been thanking me lately.

From the horrible things I have heard about Syracuse weather, I do not see it at all so far. Stay tuned, I’ll probably be shivering in a month.

3. Your friend from the city didn’t lie when they said Uber would become your best friend and your wallet's horrible ex.

Uber…My favorite. Honestly, my first Uber experience was somewhat detrimental, but the rest have been fairly decent! Decent, other than the fact that my wallet aches a little. There is so much to do in New York, and this results in attending state fairs, going on shopping trips, white water rafting (which was so much fun), attending concerts, and much more.

The one key factor to all of these activities is a need for an Uber. I didn’t realize it would become a daily thing while entering New York, but as Freshman aren’t allowed to bring a car to campus, it pretty much has for me.

4. Your Snapchat score will increase.

So, I’m not entirely sure if this is just from a college student standpoint, the fact that New York is so technologically connected, or its immense amount of people, but Snapchat is fundamental here.

Like, truly fundamental.

Expect to receive multiple questions to add someones Snapchat, and expect your snap score to skyrocket. Everybody who knows me, knows the fact that I am terrible at replying. No matter the circumstance, my replying skills are somewhat horrendous, and I hear the extent of it from all my friends.

College will make you better at replying, and if you aren’t in college, being in New York will. In the state where everyone is technologically connected, you’ll quickly fit the mold, and the phone obsession will become a little worse.

5. The bus system is scary.

Although I am not in the city, I have to take busses all the time. Whether it being to commute to the Fashion Warehouse for my design courses, to get to the mall for work, or to meet friends for a shopping trip, I always encounter faulty experiences with the bus system.

The city of Syracuse doesn’t have subways, due to the fact its population is smaller in this area, but just know that people will talk to you. I have taken the bus upon returning from the gym, running to the bus in the humidity and heat, to go back to campus after work, and basically multiple circumstances where I do not look my best.

In each of these circumstances, I have had at least one stranger approach me with either weird compliments, a rundown of the ins-and-outs of their entire day, and for the most part, questions about how I do my hair.

Quizzically, I usually just let them rant to me about their personal life and whatever they want to talk about, trying my best to not focus on the fact that I’m about to fall asleep mid-conversation. I would tell you to start a phone call and wear headphones to imply that you’re busy, but not even that works, trust me.

6. Everyone here wears workout attire.

My entire year as a senior of high school included me waking up at 5:45am to put together the best outfit, and make myself look the absolute best I could.

My daily attire encased my love for fashion, consisting of jeans, khakis, a polo, a fancy shirt, and accessories. In my second month as a Freshman at Syracuse University, I have realize how comfortable workout attire is, and not just for the gym.

It also makes you look sporty, which is an absolute plus.

I’ve never liked following the trends of other people, but the next time you’re at a university, look around at all of the people wearing workout clothes—it’ll probably be intimidating. Now you know the mindset we all have; that we hadn’t actually just go to the gym, we just implemented fashion into a much comfier attire that makes us look more sporty than we really are. It’s a science.

7. The shopping here is fabulous.

The Destiny USA mall, basically the well-known mall in upper New York, is a palace. I always understood the importance of the mall, considering my high school tradition of going to the mall every Sunday, but I never knew how much I needed a six-story mall until I fell into the premise of one upon the arrival to Syracuse, New York.

Destiny USA is labeled the sixth-largest shopping mall in the United States, so you can only imagine how my shopping habits are starting to increase. If you ever attend college in, or move to Central New York, go to Destiny! It will be life-changing.

8. I know that New York City never sleeps, but neither does Syracuse

Sunday through Saturday, expect to hear night events, cars, parties, or pedestrians. It is definitely true that the city never sleeps regarding New York City, but the city of Syracuse, NY doesn’t sleep either.

I am at Syracuse University, which could explain why I have noticed this, but night life is something that is very prominent here as well. It somewhat makes it feel like Central New York is closer to New York City, as this city really doesn’t sleep either. I guess it compensates for the four hour travel time to get to Manhattan from here.

As I’m currently in a campus Starbucks, perched up with my daily PSL (of course), I’m somewhat starting to realize I’m here.

I’m actually in New York.

Considering the amount of times I’ve rewatched Gossip Girl, my top ten-or-so college choices during the college application process being in New York, and the dozens of New York romanticism books I’ve read, re-read, and triple-read (yes, I said triple), I would expect myself to be here by now—but it all still feels so surreal.

Considering the fact that I made it, I’m here, and I’m loving it, the discoveries of this city have both matched completely, or have been completely altered from my original expectations, but every experience has been so worth it. Basically, if you’re considering it, pack your bags and come to New York. Just be careful while stepping into your Uber.