For My Best Friend Maggie, On Her 18th Birthday

You are the REAL life of the party.

141
Abby Gilman

I remember when Coach Arp first made us doubles partners during one of our practice matches. To be honest, I was pissed. I was angry that she had put me with you and bunch of girls who, at the time, had no idea how to even hold a racket. I remember groaning and asking if I could be put with a different group. Rolling my eyes at every excuse the coach had given me. After much complaint, I was setting up an 8-game pro set with you and a few others. We had been introduced at the first practice but it wasn’t until that day that we actually had any interaction.

I’m not going to lie, you couldn’t really serve for shit and all of the balls you hit either went into the net or soared over the fence. At first, I was angry because I wasn’t getting any practice and thought I was wasting my time with you guys.

That was until you stopped serving and looked at me, not intimidated by my resting bitch-face or the anger that was clearly in my eyes, and said “You know, we never chose a name for this team?”

At first, I looked at you like you had 6 heads. “What?” I responded.

“We are doubles partners. We have to have a name?” You said it so nonchalantly that I had to laugh. As I laughed and tried to cover it up, you looked at me dead in the eye and said, “Bonana! That’s our name. Team BONANA!” You cracked me right the hell up. I don’t know why but at the time I thought that was the funniest thing. It’s not easy for a person I barely know to make me laugh and that’s how I knew you were different. We laughed for hours about that stupid little joke you made and have been friends ever since.

Although at the time, sophomore year was taking a toll on you and you were going through a rough patch, you truly made my senior year a blast. I could not have gotten through all of the stress without you. I always looked forward to going with you to Moe’s EVERY single Monday and the “poop group.” Driving you home from practice every day and going to get ice cream an unhealthy amount of times. Going into abandoned buildings, only to be scared half to death and run out at full speed. Spending hours on endless drives listening to stupid songs on repeat.

Fast forward to graduation and I had to say goodbye to you. Out of all my friends, you cried the most. You sat in my car while parked in your driveway for a whole hour, refusing to let me leave until the very last minute. Crying and taking stupid snapchat pictures of me telling the whole world that I was leaving. It truly was heartbreaking having to say goodbye to you and all my friends and family.

However, whenever I come back from school, you are always the most excited person to see me and one of the last people I say goodbye to. Although our friendship hasn’t been long, it feels like a lifetime. You are someone that I confide in when I have any sort of issues and you are also someone that I can spend hours laughing over the stupidest things with. You never fail to put a smile on my face or make me laugh. You are one of the most hilarious people I know. You are what I like to call, a “forever friend.”

I have been asked many times why I’m friends with a “kid in high school.” And I always reply, “Oh well Maggie isn’t like most high schoolers. She’s cool.” What I really MEAN is, you, Margret, are like a sister to me. You are such a beautiful person both on the inside and the out and I don’t think you hear that enough. You brighten up even the darkest of days and you try your best to make everyone happy. You are kind of lazy sometimes but when you put your mind to something, you kill it every time. I am envious at your confidence and ability to make anyone and everyone around you laugh.

So, today, on your birthday, although I cannot be with you physically, I am with you in spirit. I wish I could be there to ring in this momentous occasion with you but December is only a few weeks away!

On your 18th birthday, I hope you receive nothing but happiness and love from everyone around you. I hope you get to spend time with all the many people that adore and care for you. I hope you receive dozens of cheesy cards with funny pictures on them and maybe even some that sing. I hope you get a giant cake from your favorite place and eat every last bit of it, no matter how much your stomach will hurt after. I hope the smiles you receive are endless and that you feel the most loved you have ever felt. I hope all of your wishes come true after you blow out the candles at the end of the night.

I hope you understand how much you mean to not only me but everyone that is in your life. Every memory I have with you, I will cherish for years to come. You are so brave and so strong and please don’t forget that.

You are one of my best friends Marge and I love you so much.

Happy 18th.

All the love,

Abby