How I Made Friends In College

How I Made Friends In College

Making new friends can seem terrifying at first. If you keep a positive mindset and are open to new experiences, then it won’t be as scary and puzzling as you believe.

404
How I Made Friends In College
Dayjah Lee

For some college students, going away to school is practically like attending their high school on a larger scale. Many college students tend to gravitate towards the people they knew in high school and close themselves off to amazing people that can change your lives.

On the other hand, some students are like me and take the daring journey outside their hometown to pursue their education. These students have no choice, but to make new friends (or, you know, stay inside the comfort of their dorm like a loner). Making friends in college can seem like quite the difficult task, and some would even call it frustrating. However, the idea of making friends in college excited me. I came to college with the intention to not only learn and acquire a degree. I wanted to meet new people and endure new experiences. I came to college with a positive attitude and the openness to try new things. I think that was the ultimate reason I made friends so quickly.

College is quite the bumpy ride and does not take a smooth path. This bumpy ride starts with friends. You meet your friends through connections. The people you met during orientation or even Welcome Week will not necessarily stick. That is totally fine! My mum always told me that, “Some people are with you just for a season. They aren’t meant to stay with you forever. Sometimes they are there to teach you lessons or to open opportunities.” I have always cherished this because it keeps me from getting upset about people that come into my life for a short period, just to leave. The friends I have now all came to my acquaintance through someone else I met who did not see a future friendship with me. If I had not become acquainted with the people who rejected me, I would not have found my true friendships and where I can put my loyalty in.

The other reason I made friends is I tried new things. During "Welcome Week," I went to pretty much every event that was offered. I knew that everyone else was in the same boat as myself: They all wanted to make friends. I used this opportunity to talk to every person I came into contact with. These events were geared toward freshmen to help them interact with their peers and help them make friends. I played Bubble Soccer for the first time and met someone that is actually in the same program as myself. What is Bubble Soccer you ask? You are literally trapped inside a giant bubble that only allows your feet to be free. You attempt to kick the soccer ball to the goal without getting knocked over by some ramming you. Imagine trying to get up from inside a bubble. Yeah, it is not as easy as it sounds. Although it was very foreign for me to play at first, it was super fun, and I met my rammers who lead me to the friends I have now.

Making new friends can seem terrifying at first. If you keep a positive mindset and are open to new experiences, then it won’t be as scary and puzzling as you believe. College is troubling on its own with all the exams, homework, and studying you have to do. You are going to want to have support from friends to get you through it.

I am confident, that you too can make friends in the same way that I did.