Meet Macy Krew And Her Debut Single, "Wherever You Are"

Meet Macy Krew And Her Debut Single, 'Wherever You Are'

"Wherever You Are" is available everywhere on 8/17/2018.

111
Macy Krew

Friday, August 17, Michigan State University graduate and former American Idol contestant, Macy Krew, released her debut single, "Wherever You Are." The healthy pop-country mix track hits Apple Music, Spotify, and country radio this week, and it's sure to not disappoint. "Wherever You Are" is guaranteed to be the song that you can't seem to get off repeat. With a beat that refuses to get out of your head and lyrics that are properly belted out like any true country star would, Macy Krew proves herself to be the real deal. I chatted with her about life, her song, and the future career that is sure to make her the next star in Nashville:

How old are you?

21! I graduated from Michigan State University in May.

How old were you when you first started singing?

I was 3 years old. It's funny because my mom always tells me that I learned how to sing before I could talk. I would be in my crib, supposed to be sleeping, and she would hear me humming music and tunes. I didn't step onto big stages or perform in front of anyone until I was about 13.

When was the moment you knew that singing was "it"?

Oh my gosh. It was something that always just was for me. Music and singing is what helped me through absolutely anything. Once I first stepped on the stage by myself for a show, the happiness and energy I felt was indescribable. It's something that nothing in the world could ever replace. When I'm singing and on stage, it feels like I'm at home.

Who are some artists that have inspired you the most?

I listened to Kelly Clarkson and Shania Twain quite a bit growing up. I've always listened to country music as well. Kelsea Ballerini and Carly Pearce really inspire me, especially within female songwriting and country music in general. They both write their own music and love what they do. I hope to be in their footsteps someday; they are incredible and I aspire to have all the qualities these powerful women do in country radio.

What was the most important take-away from being on American Idol?

Stay true to yourself. Everything you see on TV is not always as it seems. I nailed my auditions songs, the judges loved me, but then I was cut due to not having a sob story. They really like to figure out what will increase their ratings; which makes sense from a TV perspective. I realized throughout all of it that I would rather work for what I have success-wise. You appreciate the hard work and success more when you have put the blood, sweat, and tears into it.

Is your new single, "Wherever You Are", self-written or did you work with someone else on it?

I actually wrote this song completely on my own. The lyrics naturally came to me one night when I was trying to put the song together and I was beyond proud of how it turned out. As far as composition of the song, former Idol finalist Matt Giraud helped me with the 'notes' and the musicality of it. After that, my band and I made it come to life. My producer, Quinn Humphrey, helped bring the final magic to it and we are so excited to release my original song this Friday! 8.17.18.

Who inspired you to write this song? What's it about?

I was sorting through my happy thoughts and feelings one night and everything came together. This song is all about finding your best friend or significant other and knowing that wherever you are together, it will be the best time. It could be at home watching movies, or it could be out for a night on the town and no matter what you are doing, everything feels natural. They are quite the 'pair' that goes together -- you will find out more of what I mean by that when you hear the song. I incorporated that into the chorus.

What is your favorite lyric off of the song?

"You're my lucky star." Stars have always been my lucky thing over the years. My parents gave me a star necklace and ring when I first started performing, so it's always been a sign of luck for me. I wanted to incorporate personal things like that into the song.

What are your future plans?

I'm so excited to release my song this Friday. It will be on iTunes, Spotify, you name it. Make sure to call in to your radio stations to request it! I plan on continuing to write my own music. Perform as much as I can at all of my shows. Visit Nashville quite a bit until I move there next fall. I hope to record an EP album soon. I will keep living my dream in any way possible, and not stop until I'm where I want to be.