Loyola Students Participate in "Uplifting Exchange" to Encourage Classmates

Being ridiculously nice as usual

709

If there's one thing to know about Loyola University Maryland students, it's that they're notoriously nice. Students take care of each other, whether it is paying for a stranger's Starbucks when they've run out of meal points or raising funds for each other's Relay for Life teams. I worked as a Desk Assistant for over a year and the students I met rarely knew my name, but always smiled, asked me how I was, and sometimes (during the excruciating night shifts) offered me food and coffee to keep me awake. A recent campus phenomenon only perpetuates the idea that Loyola students are incredibly kind to one another.

On Wednesday, Dec 16, my friend asked me to give her an inspirational quote. I didn't really know what it was for, but I suggested the last stanza from Maya Angelou's "Phenomenal Woman":

"Now you understand /Just why my head’s not bowed.

I don’t shout or jump about /Or have to talk real loud.

When you see me passing, /It ought to make you proud.

I say,

It’s in the click of my heels,/The bend of my hair,

the palm of my hand,/The need for my care.

’Cause I’m a woman /Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me."

She thanked me, and mentioned something about a chain email she was passing along with an inspirational quote. I didn't think much of it until I received an email later that day. It was from the same friend. The subject line read "Uplifting Exchange" and the message read:

What at first seemed like a random chain email was now an enriching experience that I got to participate in and share with my fellow classmates. It is an easy, one-time process where all you have to do is send a meaningful message to another Loyola student, simply to send out good vibes. How cool is that

After you send out your message, you forward the email that you received to 20 of your friends with the name of the person who sent it to you and your name. So the people that you forward the email to, would then be sending messages to the person who sent you the email, and the people that your people forward the email to will send you messages. It's basically karma at it's finest.

As I'm writing this on Friday, Dec 18, I already have three emails marked "Uplifting Exchange". Many of the people I forwarded the email to were receiving it for the second time. It's truly amazing how quickly this spread (three cheers for technology!)

This fantastic initiative was started by Sydney Groll, '16, the Director of Community Relations for Loyola's Student Government Association. After she had gotten the email from a friend at Fordham University, she began the trend with Loyola students. Groll explained why she wanted to start it on Loyola's campus, "I think that this time of year, our student body can really struggle to feel motivated. Especially since our finals occur over a long period of time, the last week of being here can feel very long and extremely hard on us all...With incredibly full email inboxes loaded with responsibilities we often dread getting too, every once and a while it can feel nice to just get some love in your inbox--to know you're not alone and to not give up!"

Once again I am blown away by how thoughtful, caring, and compassionate Loyola students are. How often do we see such warm intentions in the world, let alone for nothing in return? I am so proud to participate in student-led action like this. I am so proud that Loyola students started and continue spreading such an awesome phenomenon like this.