Love Trumps Hate, Always

Love Trumps Hate, Always

I love you, and I love America too much to let you stand alone.

5
Love Trumps Hate, Always
i-D.vice.com

There is one thing that I am agonizingly sure of as the election comes to a screeching halt: hate spreads like wildfire.

As I write, we are one day post-election and I can't help but be fearful and embarrassed for our nation. A man that I cannot respect, admire, understand, or agree with on any front now represents myself and everyone I know. I never thought I'd be one to get emotional over an election; I’m a bit of a conspiracy theorist (admittedly) and tend to feel as though Presidents are more or less figureheads for a picture greater than themselves. It’s convenient because I can distance myself that way. (At least I own up to it).

But this hurt me in ways of which i have no defense. This sent a hate fire blazing through my heart, my mouth agape in shock, as tears rolled down my cheeks, the end of the count drawing near. We cannot be dominated by his hated.

I feel what you're feeling. I hear the screams of refugees and Muslims being deported. I hear the cries of women of all races, terrified to leave their homes, expecting an onslaught of sexual assault and violence. I see the looks on the faces of black, Latinx, Natives, and other minority races wondering when their voices will be heard. I know the 14 year old girls in locker rooms crying that they may not have a last resort. I feel for the closeted and out members of the LGBTQA community that are afraid to be who they are. I see Trans boys and girls being called freaks and being denied some small sense of normal. I am not okay with it. You are not okay with it. We do not need to be okay with it. We will not be quieted.

All that I know how to spread is love. If you are scared, I am your protector. If you are voiceless, I am your mouthpiece. If you are saddened, I am your rock. I am your ally. I am everything you need me to be. Reach out. Please. Don't bottle this up.

Let’s continue the awareness. Let’s have the hard conversations. Let’s spread love and positivity and passion against this spew of hatred, bigotry, racism, homophobia, misogyny, and ignorance.

I am here for you. Be there for me. Pass it on.