I Really Loved 'Love, Simon'

I Really Loved 'Love, Simon'

I encourage everyone to see it.
86

This will contain spoilers for the movie "Love, Simon." A disclaimer: I haven't read the book that the movie is based on, "Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda." Also, I just want it to be known that I loved this movie.

I did not expect to like the movie.

I only went to see it because my best friend (who is a gay) requested that we all go see it together because most of my friends are a part of the LGBT+ community. I was excited about the movie existing because it was a movie for the young LGBT+ community, but that didn't mean that I wanted to see it.

As a 19-year-old bisexual girl, I felt that I was a little too outside of the audience range to go see it. Watching the movie somewhat confirmed this; there were a lot of scenes that were just a little too over the top that made me cringe.

Five years ago, however, I might have found them cute or endearing. For me, "Jacques" and "Blue" were way too into each other way too fast. Like, saying you're in love with someone whose identity you don't actually know? A cute sentiment, but I don't buy it. Other members of the audience probably did, though.

Despite being dispersed with cringe, there were moments that were hilarious (being openly gay at "liberal university") and moments that were cute (when Simon came out to his friend Abby) and moments that made me cry (both times he talked to his parents about being gay).That doesn't mean I didn't have my problems with the movie. The trope where the gay guy's best friend falls in love with him is something that I never want to see in media again.

Speaking from personal experience, I found it unrealistic that Simon was the only gay person in his friend group. The instances of homophobia were a bit too overdone in my opinion. His friends were not understanding at all about the situation he was in.

But wait, I loved the movie! That means it also has many high points. The movie really emphasizes that being gay doesn't really make you different from other people. Because of that, I think it is more than a "coming out" movie. Simon's sexuality was central to the plot, but that's not all the movie was about.

In addition, it depicts a very real fear that many members of the LGBT+ community have of not controlling when you "come out of the closet," (though, as the movie asks, why is straight the default?). It was a very heavy topic that was handled very well. The acting was good. The ending of the movie was one of the most satisfying I've experienced. The downsides of the movie didn't stop me from enjoying it a lot, and I encourage everyone to see it.