We Need To Love Our Enemies Like Jesus Did

Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you.

85

Loving your enemies can be a very hard concept to understand. How could God expect us to love those who hurt us, mock us, ridicule us, make fun of us and so many other things? It's because Jesus gave His life for His enemies: us.

We were His enemies until He saved us by dying on the cross. We are created to love like Jesus. It can be very difficult, and even seem impossible at times. Being able to love your enemies takes time, patience and perseverance, but is something that can be learned daily.

Loving people like Jesus does means giving up the rights you think you have to carry grudges against someone who has wronged you. Carrying grudges only causes you more pain in the long run. It isn't healthy. Constantly reminding yourself of how much someone has hurt you in the past will only make you more miserable and angry.

Why do that to yourself?

Matthew 5:38-39 says, "You have heard that it was said, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. But I tell you do not resist an evildoer. If someone strikes you on the right cheek give them the left cheek."

Leviticus 19:18 says, "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your own people but love your neighbor as yourself."

It can be very difficult to love everyone as you love yourself. You may feel that not everyone deserves the same amount of love. But, remember this, if God didn't think we were all equal, or if He didn't think we were all worth saving, we all wouldn't have the gift of salvation that He has given us.

If someone wrongs us, the first thing we may think of is how we can get even with that person, but getting even will only cause more harm than good for both parties. If you choose to get even with someone after they've wronged you, you are choosing to let your emotions control you, rather than you having control of your emotions. You are also giving Satan the upper hand in your life. It might feel like it is the right thing to do, but in the long run, getting revenge on someone won't make you feel any better.

I'd rather give all of my feelings to God than have Satan make me feel like hurting someone else. Think about the fact that if you ever get even with someone, it could have deadly consequences.

It could even ruin your life.

You don't want to ruin the life that God has helped you build up just for a few minutes of "getting even" with someone, do you?

You should cast your feelings aside, forgive the person and move on with your life. God even says in the Bible, vengeance is mine and mine alone.

Matthew 5:41 says, "If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." This means extending yourself to others no matter how they treat you. It can be very difficult, but also very rewarding.

Matthew 5:42 says, "Give to the one who asks you. Do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you."

This doesn't mean giving someone a thousand dollars if they beg or ask for it, but it means to be willing to help a poor person out who may not be able to afford a meal.

It could also mean helping someone you see struggling with a simple task, such as shoveling their driveway in the winter or mowing their grass in the summer.

God also says to "carry one another's burdens in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ" in Galatians 6:2. You may ask, "why and how am I supposed to carry my enemy's burdens especially since they're the ones that caused me my burdens?" Well, newsflash--God technically shouldn't be carrying any of our burdens either.

But, He did, and He does because He loves us and loved us enough to die for us.

It doesn't mean putting everyone's burdens on your own shoulders. Rather, it means being willing to help others when you see someone in need. It also means being the bigger person and forgiving people who hurt you.

Romans 12:19 says "Do not take revenge, my friends...for it is written it is mine to avenge. I will repay says the Lord." Loving Jesus means surrendering your pride. It is said if someone wants your coat, give them the shirt off your back as well.

Matthew 5:45 says "He causes the sun to rise and set on the good and the evil. And sends rain on the just and the unjust." God will take care of those who wrong you, but you need to learn to let Him handle it instead of handling it yourself.

Loving like Jesus means surrendering your service. We have to be willing to go the extra mile for people. Even the people who hurt us. If someone needs your help, offer it to them with an open heart and an open mind.

Even though it is, at times, very hard to go out of your way for people, be the person who does the right thing and offers to help them, with no expectation of receiving something in return. Be willing to help anyone that needs your help at any time. It will make you feel good, too.

By loving your enemies, you are doing as God commanded. By praying for those who persecute you, you are helping people in ways that you can't even fathom. By being willing to go the extra mile for others, you are loving the way God expects us to love. You are loving the way Jesus first loved us.