Where Is The Love?

Where Is The Love?

Let's Make the World Brighter.

86
Where Is The Love?

https://www.ted.com/talks/drew_dudley_everyday_leadership

Spread the Love

Love is the most important thing in the world. Spreading it can be so simple, and the ripples from a small act can create unimaginable waves of peace and happiness. It's everyone's job to push the positivity forward and create the global community we want to be a part of.

Pay it forward (literally)

Money money money. Unfortunately, our world spins on an axis of dollar bills and the swiping of a credit card. Everyday we spend money on countless things; that’s why its so overwhelmingly kind when someone offers to pay for something of yours. Especially when there is no catch- it’s just to be nice. Giving selflessly can transform not only the receiver’s day but also yours. There is a definite rush associated with being a good person and doing something kind for someone else. Pay it forward and push the karma along, you never know what is going on in someone else’s life and a free Slurpee or grandee macchiato could give them the push they need to go on.

Compliment a Stranger

“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it”. Its amazing how the littlest effort has the power to turn someone’s mood completely upside down. When you can, stepping up with a random act of kindness can completely change someone’s day. Just like the lollipop ted talk, everyone can remember a “lollipop moment”. For me, it was an ordinary day at work where I wasn’t in the best mood. My boss happened to mention a story that included her telling her niece about how my positive attitude always made her day better. What. The. Heck. Timing is so freaky sometimes, but wow did I need to hear that. Its amazing how a little recognition and love will instantly boost your spirits. Next time you have a minute, take some time to deliver a random compliment, it could be as simple as “I love your hair! Or “cute shirt”. Calling someone out and acknowledging them, even for something small has a profound effect.

Catch up with an old friend

“I miss you”. How many of us say that on a weekly basis? How many of us act on it, reach out and catch up? Even though I make a decent effort to keep in touch with the important people in my life- life is crazy; it’s busy and hectic and there are millions of reasons not to carve out the time to call someone. Childhood friends are rare- the people you knew before college have such a special place in your heart. They saw your third grade talent show performance to “your it” from freaky Friday, and remained friends with you even after you wore those horrible brown gauchos’ day after day. Its easy and even understandable to get swept up in your life, but take the time to keep up with people, share your life with them and let them share theirs with you.

Smile and say hello

I will be the first to admit, catch me on a bad day or any day before 10 am and I will be a monster. I wont stop to chat, I will grunt in response to small talk, and I will actively duck any sort of physical touch. I understand the amount of effort it takes to be kind to strangers and obviously that’s not an everyday expectation, but if you are setting out to make someone’s day brighter, a kind look or glance at someone random can improve their mood significantly. Simply being noticed and acknowledged can be enough validation to spike their confidence.

Self- Care

Be selfish. Obviously, take this with a grain of salt and don’t apply this to every area of your life. Its important to value others, help others and make the people in your life feel loved. BUT it is an absolute necessity to love yourself first, and to show yourself that love on a daily basis. Whether that be cutting out some extra time for your favorite spin class, meditating, or taking a bath with your new lavender bath bomb. Everyone needs to prioritize themselves from time to time. We are no good to anyone else if we can’t be good to ourselves.

Give a gift to show your appreciation

It doesn’t have to cost money; it doesn’t have to take a long time. It can be a sticky note saying I love you, or have a great day. It could be their favorite candy bar, or a new sticker for their computer. Showing your loved ones that you took any sort of time to show your love in a tangible way is such an effective way to spread love. It tells them “I thought about you” and “your important to me”. Who doesn’t want to hear that? Gifts represent a desire to show attention and make them feel loved.

Listen and Be present

There is nothing more frustrating then talking with someone you love while they are scrolling through the Buzz feed section on Snapchat. The irony is only further enhanced when you peer over to see its an article on 10 ways to be a good friend… looking up from your phone would be a good start. Jokes aside, showing the people you love that you are listening goes a long way. Why are we willing to give a stranger our undivided attention but then so easily neglect the ones we see everyday? They deserve our respect and attention just as much if not more than strangers. People at their core want to be understood, they want to be validated and loved. Showing up for someone, listening, making eye contact and simply saying “I understand” can make a world of difference.