A Love Letter To The Woman Who Never Left My Side

Our friendship is coming up on 10 years and it has given me a chance to reflect.

Whitney Marie Halaby
155

When I think back on my life over the past 10 years there has been a lot of change: heartbreak, moves, financial struggles, emotional struggles, fights, family drama, hospitalizations, and college. However, one thing has stayed the same: Yuna.

Let me tell you a little bit about Yuna. She loves food more than anyone I’ve ever met (she takes the term ‘foodie’ to a whole new level). She is the most stubborn and fierce women I have ever met. She values the quality of her friends over the quantity. And most importantly, she is the epitome of a ‘ride or die.’

Yuna and I met when we were in 6th grade and to be honest we were both awkward, quiet, and right in the middle of puberty (so therefore pretty ugly). In the beginning, our friendship was superficial, we would sit together at lunch, go to each other’s houses occasionally, went to school dances together etc. However, things started to change in high school.

For the longest time, I felt like I didn’t belong, that I didn’t have anyone. But during my junior year, I was hospitalized from September to April. When I finally came home from the hospital I had to change everything about the way I was living. I think this is where our relationship started to change. For the first time in my life, I let someone in. I told her about my fears and insecurities -- she never judged me.

From that point, we became we gradually became closer. She pushed me to be more confident and logical. I pushed her to channel her more emotional side and to be more vulnerable.

Fast forward to 2017 and our relationship took a massive hit. I’m not going to go into details about what happened because I know neither of us wants that part of our lives plastered all over the internet. But all I am going to say is that I hurt her very badly. I cannot even begin to describe the anguish that I felt when I hurt her. And I cannot even begin to imagine the hurt and betrayal that she felt. I’m not a very religious person but I honestly prayed that she would forgive me. And she did. I have never been more thankful for anyone’s forgiveness than for Yuna’s at that moment.

I know that people always talk about finding their romantic soulmate and I don’t believe in that. I do, however, believe in best friend soulmates (this is so cheesy – it’s basically gross). But I truly believe that Yuna is my best friend soulmate. My strengths complement her weaknesses and vice versa. I have never had anyone be so loyal to me. She is my ride or die. She is the person that I always want to tell everything too – good or bad. She is the person that I could call at 3 a.m. and I know she would answer (even if I had to call 20 times to wake her up).

I honestly cannot imagine what my life would be like right now if our friendship had ended in 2017. I know that I would be very sad and lost and it would probably feel like I was missing a limb. Yuna, thank you for standing by my side through all of my ridiculousness.

Thank you for always helping me move (I hate moving more than anything). Thank you for pushing me in school when I wanted to give up. Thank you for always braiding my hair (we both know that physical touch is my love language, but not yours). But most importantly, thank you for being my person.