I wish you loved me enough to say no

To The One That Didn't Love Me Enough To Say No

While I thank you for letting me do whatever I want, sometimes I wish you wouldn't have let me.

26

While I am sure no kid ever said this, as I am growing older I am learning that telling someone no, doesn't always mean they don't care. Sometimes it means they love you enough to not let you go through with something.

For example, if one day my daughter at 13 asks, "Mom, can I get my nose pierced?" You best believe my answer is gonna be "Heck no techno!" I just hope that they never find out, I was the same age when I asked my mother to get said nose piercing. Her only stipulation was "no hoops" SOLD! A stud it is.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my nose ring and since having it done, I have progressed up to a gold hoop and surprisingly my mother loves it! Now did I really need to be the only person in middle school with a nose ring? Of course not. Could I have waited a few more years? I do believe so.

A piercing is one thing and luckily can be taken out and one day it will seem like it never was there in the first place. But what happens when it progresses to a tattoo? Something much more permanent that can't be removed in the case you finally decide you've outgrown it and you made a dumb decision. Betcha wish then you're mamma and daddy said no, as it would save you some disappointment.

What about the times you got approved to stay out late? Had you been told no, maybe you wouldn't be so hungover the next day. Or maybe you regret sleeping with that one person, and it could have been avoided if you just stayed home. While I know and understand you can't blame all your bad decisions on other people, I am just saying maybe the opportunity would have never came up in the first place.

I know it must suck being the bad guy and putting yourself in the position to be hated or disliked, but if it means protecting those that you love, doesn't that make it worth it? The feeling wouldn't last forever and odds are one day, they would understand why you said no. Saying yes to everything is taking the easy way out, and while that might make you look cool, all it's really doing is challenging your authority. Having someones best intentions at heart sometimes means that you're gonna be the bad cop, but that doesn't make you a bad person.