Why I Love Cartoons

Why I Love Cartoons

True confessions from a child at heart
73

While some people are obsessed with intense TV dramas and mindless reality shows, I am obsessed with cartoons. The past dozen series I’ve binged have been cartoons. I’m also a total fangirl for animated movies. If Disney releases a new film, i’m the first one in line to see it. For me, there’s something so magical about animation.

There’s something about the effort and care that goes into creating animation. All the time and detail that goes into designing characters and backgrounds is astounding. It’s as if I’m watching a painting come to life. Take a film like Pinnochico for example, the intricate backgrounds and vibrant colors in the film make it a delight to watch. I’m both enamered and impressed by the beauty of animation.

Aside from the the technicals, the writing in cartoons, can be just as good, if not better than that of live action series. The jokes on The Simpsons and Rick and Morty are so clever and the animation allows the characters to have more exaggerated expressions, making the jokes hit even harder. Animation has also given us some memorable characters and well developed characters, such as Tina Belcher from Bob’s Burgers, and casivally the entire cast of Gravity Falls.

But, the real reason I love cartoons is because they invoke nostalgia. 1990’s and early 2000’s cartoons that I watched when I was little invoke this nostalgia even more. It doesn’t matter if I’m watching a “kid’s” cartoon or “adult” cartoon, the nostalgia hits me either way. There’s something about animation that is so comforting to me. It makes me feel secure and entertained, and in today’s crazy world, that’s a feeling you don’t want to take for granted.

Cartoons, for me, are about art, story and nostalgia. I’m a big fan of the Peter Pan, “never grow up”, ideology, and my love of cartoons exemplifies this. They offer me a warm feeling that few others things do. From Disney, to Pixar, to Nickelodeon, I’m an animated person thanks to cartoons.