To The Person Who Taught Me That Love Is Just About Being Yourself

It is not a declaration, just an emotion.

342
Kerry Sheehan-Delany

Thank you for being my clarity instead of my remedy, by showing me my sanity in humanity.

You, without knowing it, have taught me that it is healthy to feel and it is healthy to love. Just because you feel something, doesn’t mean you are weak, too emotional, or clingy—it means you are human. The reason people often see the two as the same is because of how people act and react.

It is healthy to feel, but it is necessary to understand. It is necessary to be independent. To rely on anyone for anything for too long will cause problems and it will cause distress whether it is your mom, dad, or love interest.

It was easy, and it should be easy. If you want to text them, text them. If you want to see them, ask them if they are free. If you have a problem, tell them. I never felt self-conscious and nothing bothered me because we talked about it.

Do not hide how something is affecting you, but when you do take a second to think about it. Do you really want to say that? If you feel you are reacting too strongly, write everything down in your notes, but do not send them. You will feel better when you write it out, but you will feel even better when you realize you were overreacting but needed to. It is okay to need a second: to feel.

Being on the same page is real. I never felt like I had some catch up reading to do, and I never felt like I had read too far too soon. I told you I didn’t love you, but I was happy, and I couldn’t have said how I felt any better way. Truthfully, I do love you, just like how I love my dogs, I love avocados, I love Dublin, I love when it rains, I love soup, and how I love spending my time with people like you. Love is an emotion, not a declaration. If someone is a part of an important experience, you should love them.

Thank you for letting me live my life, but thank you for living your life too. I shouldn’t feel responsible for occupying your time; I should enjoy the time I spend with you. I never felt like I was holding you back, or that you were holding me. I looked forward to seeing you every single time I did.

Thank you for caring. Thank you for asking, and thank you for remembering. Telling you about my weekend and my travels, really my daily stories, became something I looked forward to. Thank you for understanding. When I told you something, thank you for believing it. You taught me trust and brought me sanity, and I couldn’t be more grateful for both.

It isn’t weird to care. It isn’t hard to remember, and it only takes a second to ask.

Love is not about finding someone to spend the rest of your life with. It shouldn’t be. We might think we are ready, but no one is ready for that type of commitment just yet. I find out something new about myself every day, and I love the adventure my life has become.

I have goals, hopes, and dreams. One of them is not to find the one because that person will find you when you start doing the things you love. Do not worry. People come in and out of our lives for a reason. Some are meant to stay and some aren’t.

We all long for things to work out, but everything happens for a reason, and what is meant to be will be. In the meantime, thank you, I love you, and live your life while being exactly who you are. We get better as we get older, unlike avocados. Don’t be an avocado.

I didn’t expect this and I didn’t expect anything from you, but thank you for being authentically yourself. Thank you for coming when I least expected, but absolutely needed. I am a better and happier person because I met you.

We try so hard to predict the future, but we really just need to live for today, and only worry about tomorrow. Life has a funny way of working itself out.

It wasn’t forever, and it didn’t have to be. Not everything is meant to last forever. Some love stories are short stores, but still love stories all the same.