Lottery Tickets

Lottery Tickets

A poem about lottery tickets and the circle of life.
Shareca
Shareca
4

i bought a

lottery ticket once

then twice

then three times

and

i kept buying

them until

i won

i got 5$

i don’t

remember

what i

did with it

but, i spent

more money

on lottery

tickets then

what i got

back

“the circle

of life”

Cover Image Credit: taxjusticeblog

50 One-Liners College Girls Swap With Their Roomies As Much As They Swap Clothes

"What would I do without you guys???"
77064

1. "Can I wear your shirt out tonight?"

2. "Does my hair look greasy?"

3. "We should probably clean tomorrow..."

4. "What should I caption this??"

5. "Is it bad if I text ____ first??"

6. "Should we order pizza?"

7. *Roommate tells an entire story* "Wait, what?"

8. "How is it already 3 AM?"

9. "I need a drink."

10. "McDonalds? McDonalds."

11. "GUESS WHAT JUST HAPPENED."

12. "Okay like, for real, I need to study."

13. "Why is there so much hair on our floor?"

14. "I think I'm broke."

15. "What do I respond to this?"

16. "Let's have a movie night."

17. "Why are we so weird?"

18. "Do you think people will notice if I wear this 2 days in a row?"

19. "That guy is so stupid."

20. "Do I look fat in this?"

21. "Can I borrow your phone charger?

22. "Wanna go to the lib tonight?"

23. "OK, we really need to go to the gym soon."

24. "I kinda want some taco bell."

25. "Let's go out tonight."

26. "I wonder what other people on this floor think of us."

27. "Let's go to the mall."

28. "Can I use your straightener?"

29. "I need coffee."

30. "I'm bored, come back to the room."

31. "Should we go home this weekend?"

32. "We should probably do laundry soon."

33. "Can you see through these pants?"

34. "Sometimes I feel like our room is a frat house..."

35. "Guys I swear I don't like him anymore."

36."Can I borrow a pencil?"

37. "I need to get my life together...."

38. "So who's buying the Uber tonight?"

39. "Let's walk to class together."

40. "Are we really pulling an all-nighter tonight?"

41. "Who's taking out the trash?"

42. "What happened last night?"

43. "Can you help me do my hair?"

44. "What should I wear tonight?"

45. "You're not allowed to talk to him tonight."

46. "OMG, my phone is at 1 percent."

47. "Should we skip class?"

48. "What should we be for Halloween?"

49. "I love our room."

50. "What would I do without you guys???"

Cover Image Credit: Hannah Gabaldon

some Thoughts from an angsty College freshman On a Walk in a time of turmoil

What is this life thing, anyway?

184

My first year of college was a challenging one, both academically and emotionally. I loved it, don't misread me, but it was difficult. I learned a lot about the world, about culture, about love, about other people, and of course, about myself.

I remember one evening in late April, walking back to my dorm from the gym, admiring a gorgeous sunset. The weather was warm, and the orange light of the 6:00 PM sun projected majestically against the stone walls of Hughes Hall. I was deep in thought, and probably listening to some fake-deep music that matched and encouraged my already angsty mood. It was a mood I'd experienced before--it was one that stemmed from heartbreak.

I walked, my body exhausted, my spirit already fractured. Despite my downtrodden mood, I couldn't help but admire the beauty of the scene around me, which contrasted so heavily with the dark, viscous ooze of pain and unhappiness that seeped ever so slowly through my soul. How can there be so much beauty, both man-made and natural, in this world, but so much illness and pain and unhappiness, too?

I gazed past the gates of my prosperous, somewhat pretentious University, to see people struggling, begging for a meal or for money to afford a place to stay the night.

"Why does everything need to be so complex?" I remember inquiring to myself. Why can't we all just coexist and be happy? When did we have to implement all of these rules? Borders are a manmade concept. So is currency, and with it wealth and poverty. We're all human. No human is more important than other humans. This should be simple, right? Everyone should be able to eat. And have access to water, and healthcare, and education, and the other human rights and necessities that they're entitled to.

Don't the innocent deserve to be happy? And I suppose one can argue that everyone can be happy the way things are if they work hard, or whatever. But how can everyone be happy when only a few have access to the tools that make happiness achievable? And I know money doesn't buy happiness. But I'm not even talking about riches for everyone. All I'm saying is that innocent people do not deserve a life of desperation, of hunger and thirst, of poor health, of homelessness.

I would get over my heartbreak, and return to my ordinary, privileged life soon enough. I had a roof over my head, food in my stomach, a wardrobe that was deeper than necessary, all the technology I needed to be successful, and everything else I would ever need. I had the best friends I could ever ask for. I didn't need anything else.

But I still ached for the people who lack those things. The people who try and try to better themselves and their situations, but are stuck. It should be simple. Laws are manmade. They're not the same as morals. Crossing an invisible, imaginary line isn't immoral.

Everyone has only one life. No one can change that. So let everyone enjoy their life. And let yourself enjoy yours. It's simple, really.