Losing A Beloved Celebrity Is Like Losing A Close Friend
News

With the sudden passing of basketball great Kobe Bryant as well as his daughter Gigi and the seven others on board that helicopter that day I have done quite a bit of thinking especially about how precious human life is. I wanted to share why celebrity passings hurt us so badly and how they teach us so much about human life.

23

When a celebrity passes away we usually hear it first from social media. It starts out as rumors and as the day goes on it is confirmed by several sources and we begin to get the whole story of what happened. These sudden passings shake us hard. They are days we keep in our memory forever. We remember exactly where we were when we heard the news. We try so hard not to believe these legends, these amazingly talented people we have looked up to all our lives could just be gone in the snap of your fingers.

Kobe's death shocked the world. The great person he was and the great husband he was and the great father he was to his children how can he be gone without the world getting a proper goodbye. Tragic sudden deaths are the ones that hurt us the most because we never get a real proper goodbye. Celebrity passings are hard for us to comprehend because some of these celebrities we may have never even met before. But, by what they stand for, they have changed our lives in some way that makes them so special to us. This can be hard to process because we may have never physically been in their presence but we have felt their presence in our lives by choosing them as role models. Kobe was very much a great basketball player but he stood for more than just basketball and we can learn a lot about human life from his passing and other celebrity passings.

When I first heard of Kobe's passing the world stopped around me. I looked at my roommate and said there is no way it has to be a false accusation. I was mistaken as the day went on more and more information began to be released. We found out throughout the day that multiple people were on board that helicopter including his daughter Gigi and many others were involved in the crash. In these situations, it is hard to process where you, as a human, go from here. You question if you are allowed to feel so sad when you never were physically in the presence of these individuals.

The truth is it is okay to be sad for those you have never physically met. Humans have a great capacity to show sympathy and love in hard times. This time is one of those. It is healthy to feel sad and be confused and heartbroken by a beloved celebrity passing. It is also healthy to reach out to your loved ones. Call, text, whatever just tell those closest to you that you love them. Life is very, very precious and you seriously never know when your last day with someone is. So, do not hold petty grudges with someone. Apologize where apologies are needed because you will regret not doing these things. Just do not take your life for granted appreciate the little and big moments especially with loved ones. Life changes in the blink of an eye. It is important to remember that and appreciate the life you are given because you are not given another one so do not waste it. Life can be hard and it is important in tough moments to reach out to people and get help. You would be surprised by the amount of people in your life who would drop anything to help you.

Do not take this life or anyone for granted because looking back you will wish you could go back to certain special moments.

Kobe's death changed the way I look at human life as well as the way I look at those I have around me. Celebrity passings like Kobe show us how precious life is and it is important to not let petty arguments keep us from holding loved ones tight. Life can change in an instant and it is important to keep that in mind. To all those hurt by Kobe and his daughter's passing and the seven other lives lost that day, I hope you find peace in life and remember to cherish your loved ones before it is too late.