Losing A Family Pet

Losing A Family Pet

Leave a special place in your heart for them

28
Losing A Family Pet
Tessa

One of the saddest things in life is losing a family pet. What some people don’t understand is that your pet is more than just a domesticated animal. It’s part of the family. Each pet has their own personalities and mannerisms that you either adore or wish they wouldn’t do. They become part of your everyday routine and greet you when you come home. Some are lap animals, while others just want to be held. Each pet loves you unconditionally.

During my winter break my youngest dwarf bunny, bunny fufu, passed. I was heartbroken since I had raised him from the moment he was born. He was the lucky one that I kept in the litter because he was the runt and we didn’t expect him to live very long, but he lived for almost 2 years. I trained him to come when I called his name and tapped the floor in front of me. He loved to cuddle with his parents and enjoyed apple treats very much.

His parents recently just passed these last two weeks. The father, Oscar, passed 2 weeks ago, and the mother, Pennie, was put down yesterday after a back injury paralyzed her from the waist down. I was giving Pennie a bath because she had a buildup of fecal matter on her bum and in doing so she twisted a certain way fracturing her back. I noticed that she couldn’t move her back two feet when I put her back in her cage. My dad and I waited a few hours to see if her condition would improve and after it didn’t, I knew she needed to be put down. Rabbits are prone to back injuries when they leap around and she has twisted just right to injure herself. I cried when I realized I would have to put her down. I still was grieving for the loss of my other bunny Oscar who had passed a week earlier. I held her while she fell asleep and she licked my arm, which she only did when she was sorry after biting me too hard. My heart broke a little.

I know that all three are all together now and cuddling once again as a family. My cat sensed something was wrong and sat by my side for the rest of the day. The thing about most family pets is they understand loss and will comfort their owners. With each pet that has moved on from my life, a space in my heart is reserved for them.

When a pet passes, you lose a friend, maybe even a best friend, but don’t weep for their loss. Remember all the good times you had with them and realize that every pet has to move on eventually. They are in a better place now, enjoying greener pastures and frolicking through fields. The best thing is to move on, but don’t forget. Leave a special place in your heart for them.