Treat Yourself And Take A Trip Down South

Treat Yourself And Take A Trip Down South, You Won't Regret It

We should start adopting a Southern style state of mind.

119
Gina Capone

My mom and I decided to take a spare-of-the-moment trip down to Nashville, Tennessee, this last weekend, and it was the best thing we could've done.

If you're losing faith in humanity, take a trip down south.

Being from New Jersey, I'm used to having a door shut in my face, no one saying "please" or "thank you", and getting ignored as I smile at a stranger. It gets exhausting. I always felt like I didn't belong here.

But returning to Tennessee for the second time made me realize the south is where my heart is. There was not a single time when I was awkwardly standing alone with someone who didn't ask how my day was or say hello. Everyone is friendly, and everyone cares about who you are, where you're from, and why you're visiting.

The atmosphere is something I can't even begin to explain. Even if it rains, it feels as if it is always sunny. Everyone smiles and everyone wants you to have an amazing day.

Not to mention I have never met such nice Lyft drivers as the ones we were lucky enough to have in Tennessee.

I will never forget the people I met there and how welcoming each and every one of them was. The memories my mom and I made were only as good as the energy surrounding us. Because of them, they made our time out in Nashville even better than I had imagined.

Waiting an hour in line for a picture with the #WhatLiftsYou wings felt like 20 minutes. The bartenders made you feel like family. Not to mention that southern food is out of this world, especially the brisket. Never say no to southern style anything!

I'm not sure what is in the air down there, or if it's something in the water, but you don't find many people like that from around here. Meeting people so kindhearted and friendly makes you wonder how this world could ever turn so cold and grey.

Coming back home allowed me to have a lighter heart, and not to take anyone or anything for granted. Be thankful for the little things, like a vacation with your loved ones or how nachos solve everything. At least, for me, they do.

Life is too short to walk around with a cloud over your head. Being rude to someone because you're having a bad day is not going to make your day any better. But by smiling at a stranger, or asking them how their day is going, it may make their day a little better.

Maybe, just maybe, it'll influence your mood, too.

Instead of adopting southern style cooking, we should be investing in some southern style state of mind.

I may never say “Y'all" or wear my boots too often, but Tennessee will always hold a special place in my heart.