You Should Listen To Lorde's 'Melodrama' Right Now

A blend of raw emotion, heartbreak and self fulfillment, Lorde's sophomore album "Melodrama" is a must-listen, here's why...

93

"Because ours are the moments I play in the dark // We were wild and fluorescent, come home to my heart". This is just a sample lyric from perhaps one of the most powerful (and in my opinion, life affirming) songs off of the album released back in May 2017. This upbeat song requires at least two listens to really understand what lies beneath the seemingly light, fast-paced tune. It paints a picture of all the nights Lorde spent reliving her past relationship. The title is "Supercut", because Lorde gradually comes to terms with the edited version she herself wanted to believe was representative of her relationship. She eloquently portrays this with the opener "In my head, I play a supercut of us // All the magic we gave off // All the love we had and lost".

It is important to note that Lorde was just nineteen years of age when she wrote the album. In it's entirety, Melodrama is an introspective look at emerging young adulthood. In Lorde's case, she just recently suffered what is presumed to be her first major heartbreak. In the opener "Green Light", Lorde yearns for her green light, that is the signal of release in which she can finally get rid of the stains of heartbreak. Only then will she see what life might be like on the other side, however it is clear that this process has already begun for Lorde in the song: "But I hear sounds in my mind // Brand new sounds in my mind".

One of the most profound and impressive aspects of this album is that it knows its purpose and direction. As you journey through Melodrama, the listener can literally experience Lorde grow as a young woman. "Sober" is the second song off the album, and it tells of the rush Lorde feels from the drugs that make her feel alive. Later on in Melodrama, "Sober II (Melodrama)", Lorde can't help but wonder who she is and perhaps what it means to be sober: "Lights are on and they've gone home but who am I // Oh how fast the evening passes, cleaning up the champagne glasses". And finally, in the next to last song of the album "Liability (Reprise)", Lorde understands that maybe the actual party is what she has wanted to avoid all along: "maybe all this is the party // maybe the tears and the highs we breathe".

On a final note, I think the reason why this album is so near and dear to me is, to some degree, that I see myself in Lorde. Nothing could sum up the album better, as well as how I feel, than the final song, "Perfect Places". In a sense, this song is Lorde being able to fully embrace the profound freedom that is independence. This newfound knowledge somewhat frightens her, and she is unsure if she can truly be alone with it. She realizes that the perfect places she has so longed for may not be within her lovers, or the drugs, but within the self. The lyric I will conclude this article with is what I think represents Melodrama, and portrays Lorde's message, as so blatantly stated in "Perfect Places", and that is "What the fuck are perfect places, anyway?".