My College Essay
Health Wellness

A look Back to my college essay...3 years Later

"My Longest Minute," for Michaela.

134
Kelsey McPhee

Three years ago, I sat down to write my college essay. I have always loved to write, but this was more than just writing for fun. This would determine where I would go to college–where the next four years of my life came together. Draft after draft, I attempted to tell my story in a way different than every one else. I wanted to showcase my growth as well as what was important to me.

Dance was always a big part of my life along with the people that were involved in it with me. From my friends to my teachers, they all became my second family.

As high school went on, I was attempting to find what truly made me happy. I was learning what type of dancer I was. I was learning who I was as a person. While the high school experience had its memories, there were also dark pieces as I went along. There were times where I did not know what direction to go in or what to do next. There were times where I just wanted to get out. There were times where I felt alone. I was stuck. That's where Michaela came in.

Michaela always managed, and still manages, to get me out of whatever funk I may find myself in. When there was a down, she brought me up. From my freshman year of high school, our relationship continued to grow. She had one of the biggest influences on me that any one had ever made. So when I went to write my college essay, I wanted to think about what changed me. What helped me get over the obstacles? What helped me want to keep going? And there I was–7:00 am on a Sunday morning in the studio with Michaela and the answers just came for me. Dance and Michaela.

So there I had it: my college essay! And now that Endicott College received it and let me into the best years of my life at my favorite place, I want to share a piece of writing that means a lot to me where I always am sharing my writing with you all. Michaela, thank you for everything. All my words remain true. So let me brag about you for a hot second.

My Longest Minute

I'm okay. I'm not nervous. This is going to be great. “Alright Kels, you're up next." Great. Nationals was winding down and the only dance left of the finals was my solo. I crouched behind the curtain observing the tap dance before me, each second trudging by like molasses. Thinking of the previous day where the judges announced my solo would be in the finals made my heart race even faster. I began to stretch every muscle I could think of and jump up and down to mentally prepare myself. They chose ME. They wanted to see ME dance again. And in the minute, the only person I could think of was Michaela.

Three years ago, I had my first solo choreographed by Michaela. At this point in time, I barely knew her. All I knew was that she had never choreographed a solo before at the studio and I would be one of her first. My first solo that year became a small success yet there was still room for improvement. Michaela and my relationship grew dramatically from that year and I began to feel comfortable with her. My second solo led to me working even harder. Competition after competition, my name was announced after “and in second place-". I was so close, yet too far. Solo three began and I needed this to be my year. Every Sunday morning I would come to the studio and the practices were filled with laughs and sweat as we fine tuned the final touches. When one morning came to an end, Michaela told me that for my senior year, I would have a different choreographer for my solo. Tears instantly formed in my eyes like a water balloon waiting to burst and my stomach dropped. Michaela had become everything to me: a choreographer, a mentor, a friend, a sister. What am I going to do without her by my side? How am I supposed to do all of this without her? With tears in her own eyes she muttered, “We've had our run. This is not the end. I'll always be here, but you will be in good hands." I now knew I had no choice but to do whatever it took this season to do my best. I began to win. The feeling was unstoppable. My hard work and dedication finally paid off. Now it was time for me to finish strong not only for me, but for Michaela.

Throughout these three years, Michaela made me not only a stronger dancer, but a stronger person. When we started together, I never expected to end up where I am today. My confidence was at a low and my determination was right beside it it. As time went by and we became closer, she made me want to try harder for not only myself, but for her. I wanted to do well to thank her for everything she had done for me. I learned what it means to truly have passion for something and strive for success. I knew how important confidence is in order to achieve and that with determination, you will move forward. With a little bit of eagerness mixed with enthusiasm and originality, success will await you. Michaela showed me how passion, power, heart, and determination can push you to be the best you can be.

“And for our final dance of the day, please welcome Kelsey with: Strength Through Sound." And in that moment, my longest minute came to end. I walked on from behind the midnight black curtain, heart beating fast, and tears filling my eyes. Breathing in deeply, I took the stage one last time for the season. The first ding of the music tickled my ear and I began dancing but not for my audience. Not for myself. For Michaela.