Looking For Some New Music? I Got Your Back With These 5 Talented Acts

We have a little bit of rock, R&B and soul, folk, and vaudeville in the mix of this list

14

One thing that you should all know about me is that I am an insanely huge "music buff." I've always had an open mind about different types of music and having the mentality of giving an act a chance to be heard by my ears. From rock and metal to rap, country, classical (even though I tend to be picky with my classical music choices), and the far out there stuff that nobody listens to, genre and style doesn't matter to me. Now, even though I have disliked many new acts I've listened to based on lacking any musical creativity, sounding similar to other artists, and many other reasons, I still like to give any singer-songwriter, band, pop singer, R&B/soul/gospel singer, and teenage idol some exposure. So, for this list, I will be sharing with you five acts that you should listen to. Some of you might have heard of these acts, but those of you that haven't should broaden your musical tastes and give these artists a run for your money. Who knows, maybe from this list you'll find a new favorite artist to put on your iPhone playlist and blast through your car stereo. And if these acts end up not being your "cup of tea," at least you gave them a shot.

1. Jamestown Revival

Ever since I first heard them, I have given this duo out of Magnolia, Texas the title of "The Simon and Garfunkel of Americana." While some might think I'm a little too extreme to be comparing an up and coming group to a highly praised Hall of Fame duo such as Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel, Jamestown Revival is not too far behind from receiving that praise and recognition in their career themselves. Formed in 2011, Jamestown Revival is made up of singer-songwriters and childhood friends Jonathan Clay and Zach Chance who combine elements of Folk, Southern rock, and even a little bit of Bluegrass into their music. Their song topics rely heavily on living the simple American lifestyle, leaving the past struggles behind and starting anew, and odes to nature. Having the mindset of living a simple lifestyle is what drew me to this band as they use little recording studio equipment to produce a unique style with raw sounding guitars, drums, and beautiful and well-connected harmonies between Clay's rich baritone voice and Chance's bright and soaring tenor sound. The band has released two studio albums with "Utah" in September of 2014, and "The Education Of A Wandering Man" in October of 2016. Every time I listen to a Jamestown Revival song, the harmonies that Clay and Chance create with their incredible voices send shivers down my spine and give me goosebumps, which is all the reason I gave the comparison to Simon and Garfunkel because I get the same feeling listening to them too. Just listen to songs like "Love is a Burden," "California (Cast Iron Soul)," and "Home" to get what I'm saying about Jamestown Revival. Also, if you ever need some uplifting and traveling type music when your going on trips in the car, give this group a listen. You will not regret it.

2. Allen Stone

Now, while this guy might look a little strange to you, especially with that hair and I do agree, he has got some passion in his voice. This R&B/Soul singer, yes I said R&B/Soul, from the small town of Chewelah, Washington has been blowing away audiences with his flawless voice since 2010 beginning in the Seattle area. Even though it would seem bizarre to some that a white guy could sing R&B/Soul music, if they would listen to Allen Stone's music without knowing what he looked like, they would without a doubt think he was a black man singing those notes with that tone. However, I think that is what makes Stone so unique in the music industry today. In addition, his music contains both a mix of old school R&B and Soul of the 1950s through the 1970s, and elements of modern R&B in today's music scene. Along with the sound of his music, Stone's lyrics have covered topics involving love and relationships, life and society, and the social and political problems that our country faces today. Examples of these songs are "Unaware," "Symmetrical," and "Celebrate Tonight." While most people categorize him as an R&B and Soul singer, Stone likes to describe him himself as a "hippie with soul." Throughout my years of listening to Stone, I would have to say that his voice reminds me a lot of Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder, all of who he has cited as influences in his life and career. He certainly has a very wide range in his voice, along with the ability to croon and add spice to the notes he sings in his songs. However, I believe Stone's strongest suit to his voice is his falsetto. Just how clear and concise it sounds every time he uses it gives me feelings of jealousy to have a falsetto as beautiful as his. Stone has released two albums in his career with his self-titled "Allen Stone" album in 2012, and Radius in 2015. So, if you would like to listen to some modern R&B and Soul with a throwback twist to it, check out Allen Stone's work.

3. Eric Hutchinson

Ah Eric Hutchinson, or as I like to call him the artist of wit and playfulness. This singer-songwriter from Washington D.C. got his career started in the great city of Boston and became a well-known artist in the indie scene. He is a man who can write some of the most poppy hooks I have ever heard and yet they are incredibly catchy and get stuck in my head for days, months, and even years. I would describe Hutchinson's music as a mix of rock, folk pop, and power pop with strong melodies found throughout with high usage of guitar, piano, and several other instruments appearing in his songs. Lyrically, Hutchinson sings on topics that mostly like to poke fun at himself with his humorous charm that involve love, life, and having fun. Examples of these type of songs are "I'm Not Cool," "Ok, It's Alright With Me," and "Tell the World." However, despite his sarcastic and witty side, Hutchinson has wrote songs that seem to have an emotional and sentimental feeling to them involving his life or that can relate to other's lives. Songs like "Watching You Watch Him," "Breakdown More," and "Forever" can be examples involving these types of feelings. I would compare Hutchinson to the witty sides of Billy Joel and Elton John, as well as current singers in the industry like Jason Mraz. Eric Hutchinson has released four studio albums with "Sounds Like This" in 2008, "Moving Up Living Down" in 2012, "Pure Fiction" in 2014, and "Easy Street" in 2016. One day if you need a little laugh to brighten yourself, just listen to some good ol' Eric Hutchinson and you'll have a smile on your face in no time.

4. Steam Powered Giraffe

I know what you all are thinking. "Who are these people with the creepy makeup and hats on?" "And why is their name called Steam Powered Giraffe if they aren't actual Giraffes?" Well I am writing this to tell you that Steam Powered Giraffe is a musical group formed in 2008 that are part of the steampunk subculture that is based off of industrial steam-powered machines that were used in the 19th century. The trio is made up of David Michael Bennett, Isabella "Bunny" Bennett, and Samuel Lake who play robotic characters and combine elements of vaudeville and folk rock in there music. In a similar way to Eric Hutchinson, Steam Powered Giraffe writes music that includes pop culture references, comedic lyrics and dialogue, and humorous sketches as well. Some songs I would recommend to get a little sample of them are "Make Believe," "Rex Marksley," and "Brass Goggles." However, there are many touching and meaningful songs that Steam Powered Giraffe has written as well too such as "Scary World," and "Little Birdie." However, the one song that I love the most from this group was the first song that got me exposed to them and it is there most popular song to date. That song is "Honeybee." It is an acoustic guitar driven track that has absolutely beautiful harmonies between the three members and it is absolute ear candy. However, I will admit that the music video for that song is a bit creepy so if you don't care that much for watching people acting like moving smiling robots, then the video might not be for you. Steam Powered Giraffe has released five albums with "Album One" in 2009, "The 2¢ Show" in 2012, "MK III" in 2013, "The Vice Quadrant: A Space Opera" in 2015, and "Quintessential" in 2016. So, While they may be creepy and strange to some, it wouldn't be the worst thing to give them a try. You might surprise yourself how much you like them no matter how they look.

5. Gavin DeGraw

I decided to put Gavin DeGraw as the last artist on my list because of the fact that people would most likely know who he is, or have at least heard one of his songs. No doubt, the one song this singer-songwriter from South Fallsburg, New York is known for is his breakout single "I Don't Want to Be" from back in 2003. However, ever since he started as a professional musician in 2002, he has had hits here and there through these later years like with "In Love With a Girl" and "Not Over You," DeGraw has fallen a little out of the mainstream limelight. However, I'm still I huge fan of DeGraw's and I've loved his raspy and at times soothing voice. DeGraw tends to include styles of pop rock, rock, and soul in his music mainly playing guitar and piano which I believe adds a lot more flavor to the messages in his songs and makes it more fun to bob your head to . Typically, the song topics that DeGraw tends to write about is centered around being in love with or liking a certain girl, along with relationship troubles. Examples of these songs are "Sweeter," "Cheated on Me," and "How Lucky Can a Man Get" just to name a few. Through his career, DeGraw has released six albums with "Chariot" in 2003, the self-titled "Gavin DeGraw" in 2008, "Free" in 2009, "Sweeter" in 2011, "Make a Move " in 2013, and "Something Worth Saving" in 2016. So, I realize that many of you probably are familiar with Gavin DeGraw, but if you haven't heard his work before you definitely will enjoy it. Nice simple pop rock tunes that don't say too much, but they do get the job done with their well-written hooks and musicality.