A Look At Halsey's New Album, 'Hopeless Fountain Kingdom'

Halsey examines her relationships, flaws, and insecurities in an empowering way that lets the listener know that he is not alone in his struggles and leaves him feeling-- ironically-- quite hopeful.

102
Halsey / Instagram

At the beginning of this month, Halsey released her sophomore album "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom." This eclectic record can be heard as a story of hardship and eventual self-discovery that accompanies toxic relationships. Here's what to expect in each song; give them each a listen.

The Prologue

Quoting the prologue from William Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet," the opening track of "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom "establishes the background of the relationship detailed in the tracks to come: a passionate, unstable relationship between "star cross'd lovers" doomed to end. Despite the tragic, emotional ending of a whirlwind love story, the "strife" is finally "bur[ied]," comparing the Montague and Capulet's agreement of peace to the inner peace Halsey herself finds after moving on from failed, toxic relationships and situations. Then, changing course from her love life, Halsey briefly touches on the contradictions of the world we live in today-- she describes growing up in a "money hungry, prideful country" where the "grass is green and it's always sunny." In a societal commentary, she suggests that people's "hands [are] bloody," but it all "tastes like honey." Despite the downsides, she wouldn't choose to leave, and this highlights that no matter what internal and external struggles you face, it's worth working through them and becoming a better, stronger person. Throughout "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom," Halsey examines her relationships, flaws, and insecurities in an empowering way that lets the listener know that he is not alone in his struggles and leaves him feeling - ironically - quite hopeful. "The Prologue" is an intriguing and accurate preface to what the rest of the album holds.

100 Letters

Don't let the smooth flow of lyrics and synthetic percussive sounds distract you from the main message of "100 Letters": know your worth and don't allow anyone to make you forget it. Halsey recounts a relationship from her past that she has now realized was toxic, detailing her regret over ever giving her love to someone who made a habit of tearing her down. Halsey's description of her relationship with "Midas" can serve as both a new perspective on a mistake from her past and a life lesson for the listener: if someone is treating you poorly, leave.

Eyes Closed

Halsey gets it: it's hard moving on from a broken heart, especially when you aren't sure why the relationship you were dedicated to ended. "Eyes Closed" describes a failed attempt at moving on "with someone new," where preferring to keep your eyes closed and wishing your old relationship never ended is the norm.

Heaven In Hiding

The distinct beat of "Heaven In Hiding" seems to echo a pounding heartbeat as the song describes a rushed, physical encounter between two lovers. Throughout this song, the world seems to be zipping by, but it's hard to focus on much more than thumping hearts, "crimson headaches," and fierce "blushes." Personally, I think it's left up to the listener whether the "heaven in hiding" is unexpected, private, or secret. No matter what "hiding" means, the song is easy to play repeatedly time and time again.

Alone

Loneliness can coexist with popularity. "Alone" deals with the idea of feeling alone even when you have people around you. Halsey examines her behavior, admitting to being "distant" and doing some of the same things that she's hurt by someone doing to her in a later song, "Strangers." Halsey describes throwing crowded parties and being popular, while simultaneously worrying that she'll be a disappointment to people when they actually get to know her. In a comforting way, Halsey recognizes that it's both possible and disheartening to feel alone with a "loud... brain" in a room packed with people.

Now Or Never

Halsey's first single from "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom "journeys through the feeling of uncertainty about where a relationship is going and not wanting to wait any longer for reassurance that the other person cares as much as you do. The obstacles of walls up and distance are worrisome, but this song describes wanting to forget all of that and just love in the moment. The continuous repetition of pleading her partner to "love [her] now, now, now" and "hold her down, down, down... forever" not only employs clever wordplay but also echoes the desperation of her wishes.

Sorry

"Sorry" is truly a heartbreaker. This acoustic piano piece serves as an apology to Halsey's "unknown lover" that she didn't cherish when she had the chance. She let a good person get away because she "can't believe that anybody ever really starts to fall in love with [her]," which is heartbreaking for herself and her lover who treated her right and loved her so genuinely. Halsey wraps up the tune with a sentiment that although sad, is so often the truth with breakups: she tells her lover that "someone will love you, but someone isn't me."

Good Mourning

This song might not make sense to you the first, second, tenth, or seventieth time you hear it, but it is actually some pretty sick poetry. Halsey is endlessly searching for "a place where love conquers all," but all she's found so far is a place of hopelessness. She likens herself to the moon, suggesting that no one can trust her because she never stays the same. The fact that "Good Mourning" is recited by a young boy creates a perspective of innocence, confusion, and hopelessness turned hopeful. Once it reaches its end at a mere 1 minute 8 seconds, the song seems a bit incomplete, making me wish there was more.

Lie- ft Quavo

"Lie" opens up with a string of sexual wordplay that would make William Shakespeare himself blush. But it doesn't stay light for much longer, suddenly followed up by the line "I'm tryna give the impression that I get the message you wish I was dead." Yikes. Then, in a way that's sort of heartbreaking, Halsey tells her lover that if "[he] don't love [her] no more, lie." She begs him to lie about his feelings, praying that the relationship won't end.

Walls Could Talk

The smooth violin sounds and soft voice used in "Walls Could Talk" contrast the intense emotions described in this song. A relationship that brings Halsey "about four minutes from a heart attack," "makes [her] a maniac," and includes "fist fights in a limousine" seems like feelings would be flying wildly around constantly, but actually the two people can't seem to admit their real feelings to each other. Even if the couple doesn't know each other's feelings, she's sure that the walls are listening and thinking: man, this "shit is crazy, right?" The walls seem to know better than those standing inside of them that this insane relationship isn't going to last. Perhaps it's easier for solely the walls to know the information, leaving the couple standing outside of the storm.

Bad At Love

Ladies and gentlemen, it has ("finally") happened: Halsey has dropped female pronouns. "Bad At Love" relentlessly draws you in as Halsey rhymes her way through the specifics of four different people that she thinks "could really be the one this time." However, as Halsey talks through her tendency to harm her own relationships, she isn't really hoping that the boy who "tastes like Jack when [she's] kissing him" or "the girl with California eyes" could be "the one" for life; instead she's hoping for "the one that could finally fix [her]," solving her problems with love.

Don't Play

I'll be honest: "Don't Play" isn't my favorite track on the album. However, accompanied with the sounds of shattering glass that give the song an edge that almost makes it a warning, the message of the song is clear: Halsey is so over you, and no one is going to mess with her again. She knows that she looks "as fine as a damn Monet," she knows that you're trying to apologize, she "[doesn't] give a damn what you say," and she's warning you to not play with her. It's sort of a threat, but it's also kind of casual. Either way, you should probably be careful the next time you decide to hit her up.

Strangers- ft. Lauren Jauregui

Proclaimed a "love song for the LGBT community," this song features two openly bisexual women - Halsey and Lauren Jauregui of Fifth Harmony - sympathizing with a person whose lover decided that she no longer wants to be intimate. Developing a piercing contrast between "lovers" and "strangers," this song details how relationship dynamics can quickly and drastically change. Halsey describes how it hurts "when [she] wakes up all alone and [she's] thinking of [her] skin," and all she has left is to think back, sadly, on the "mornings with [her] laying in her bed... the memories... and the thought of a forever." For those that this song resonates with, it certainly is a love song and a point of reassurance: it's a reminder that love can be hard, and you're not alone.

Angel On Fire

Comparing herself to Icarus, Halsey describes her own unstable condition, constantly surrounded by people that never show any interest in how she's doing. Halsey invites the listener into her anxious mind, which is telling her that she is unloved. Seeming to lose herself amongst her spiraling thoughts - a feeling that is far too familiar for some - Halsey comments that she feels like she's "standing in the ashes of who [she] used to be."

Devil In Me

"Devil In Me" details the journey Halsey took to find herself after a relationship that made her unrecognizable even to her. Her lover did everything in his power to hold her back and silence her, telling her that she "shines too bright" and "flew too high," as if that's even possible. (It isn't). Halsey realizes that she needs to finally wake up "the devil in [her]," telling herself that she has "gotta wake up, come back to life." She strives to return to being herself as she heals. Never let anyone mellow out your fierce personality.

Hopeless- ft. Cashmere Cat

In the slow, synthesized closing track of "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom," Halsey thinks back on her toxic relationship, wondering if it was "something real" and "better than [she] thinks it is." Although she second-guesses herself, she realizes that her lover changed her for the worse and that it's not her fault. Ultimately, Halsey hopes that "hopeless changes over time," looking to move on, heal, and become more optimistic in the future. This closing track concludes a painful time in her life, and she finally starts to feel hopeful that her pain, regret, and hopelessness will fade.

Go check out "Hopeless Fountain Kingdom." The album is great, and Halsey is a poet.