Longboarding - The Ultimate Guide For Beginners

If yours are extreme sports for sure you have had the opportunity to slide and skid in one of these tables.

40

The adrenaline and the pleasure of feeling the wind against you while carefully using each muscle of your body to maintain balance and stay on track are sensations difficult to describe someone who has not practiced this sport. However, it is necessary that you know certain precautions and equipment that you need to practice this discipline properly.

There are 3 styles of skating that can be done with a longboard. Each of them has different implications with regard to the components that each style uses. First, there is the "downhill" or vertical falls where it is intended to obtain high speeds. There is also carving, which consists of gently sliding almost horizontally through asphalt hills. Not necessarily looking for speed but delicate movements that keep you on track. Finally, we have the freestyle where your imagination flies and you can perform tricks and acrobatics with the longboard brands, doing what you want.

Protection

Before you start talking about the pieces you need to build your table, you need to understand that this sport is to achieve speeds of 40 km per hour on board, so it is important to use the protection given to minimize the risks involved in the activity. That is why you must use an integrated helmet, which covers your head completely. The integrated biker helmets are perfect to start. It is also advisable to use knee and elbow pads to protect your joints. Finally, in terms of protection, the other essential piece you need, especially to skid more easily and use your body to the fullest are the gloves. These gloves must be specialized for longboard; they have some plastic discs that will allow you to touch the floor while you are on the table.

Boards

Now, it is also necessary to have a good board to start practicing this discipline. There are many varieties and many factors that you must take into account to choose the best version that best suits you. We will use different elements and you can make your own conclusions when choosing the best one for you.

Size

The size of the table you use is a relevant factor when skating. The only thing you need to know is that the longer the table you are going to get more balance, at the expense of the versatility in the movements that you will be able to have. The tables are also larger as you plan to grab more speed on them. If you are looking to go downhill you should look for a table of around 40 inches. While if you are looking for a carving board it can be a shorter one. Broader and have specialized trucks. Regarding the width of the board, it is important that it be spacious enough to be able to place your feet perpendicular to fit comfortably.

Material

Regarding the materials, the vast majority of the boards are made of wood; from cherry to bamboo it must be light, resilient and resistant. Bamboo is a good alternative because it offers a light and resistant material. Remember that it is very possible that your board receives several blows when you fall from it. There are also professional boards made with carbon fiber alloys, these are excellent, but their price is not very accessible.

Shape

This will depend on the type of skating you want to perform. The downhill boards regularly do not have a tail; they focus on having a more aerodynamic shape and a better grip on it. This makes sense because you will experience strong speeds in it, you do not want to fall. If you are looking for carving you can opt for a wide board, however, it does not have to be very long if you do not want to.