Long Term Relationships From Both Perspectives

The insight on long term relationships.

13
Isabella Goulden

Girl's Perspective

Communication

This is by far the most important thing in a long term relationship. You have to be able to have exciting conversation without technology in between you. Being able to see the way he looks at you, is something every girl deserves. Being able to hold hands and talking about the future is so memorable to you. You want to remember the look on his face forever, so its much more important to see each other than and spend quality time. If there are ever uncertainties in your relationship or something you feel comfortable telling him, don't be afraid to because he is there for you. He makes you feel like the most important person in the entire world when you come home for work after a long shift.

Gifts

I remember thinking of the cutest gifts for him when we first started dating. Now the most important thing to both of us is getting something we'll either use often, or something we'll cherish forever. Besides my engagement ring for Christmas, I also got a book with "50 Things I Love About You", that now sits on my dresser and I smile every time I walk by. I love getting the cheesy gifts every so often too, they remind me that we can still be goofy and young even if we're growing older.

Going Out

These were the best times in High School. My favorite part was seeing how handsome he looked in his tux when he'd pick me up before dances. He always got me flowers that were symbolic and different than the last event. He thought of every single detail and would open my car door for me. It was always the little things that made e fee so lucky. The most fun was by far the dancing, I loved being with my best friends and my other half. He made me feel comfortable in my own skin, he would even if I didn't have all the makeup on. Other then High School dances, we love going on small dates, like to an arcade or to the park for a picnic, just small things that makes you both smile. I always like finding something to do that we can talk and laugh at because it helps loosen tensions. Remmeber it isn''t always necessary to "go out" you can stay in and watch a movie with some popcorn, or play board games with his family.

Arguments

Now, personally we haven't had most of these, but we do have small like talks, I suppose. You don't want to stay mad at him for too long, because deep down, guys don't like it just as much as girls do. Guys have minds and hearts and I think society tries to cover that up, but you have to remember to be sensitive towards him when he really needs you, it can't just be about you. There has to be a given and take when there are disagreements, you have to pick your battles and learn when to forget about it. I don't want to stay mad at someone who I tell everything to, so why waste time fighting when you could be enjoying each other's company?

Knowing Each Other

After six years I would say I know him pretty well, like the "back of my hand". You have to be able to sense the body language of the other person that way you can help them if they aren't able to talk about something. He will always know when you need cuddles and chocolate, if you know what I mean. By this time in our relationship we can read each others minds and we finish the other's "sandwiches"(also, he'll gets this because he watches my favorite movies too). I can't wait to learn so many more things about him through our life, like what his midnight snack is. He remembers the smallest things about your relationship and that is like icing on the cake, because he even remembers what you wore on your first date. Its always fun to look at old pictures and videos from the past together too. I have loved getting to know such an amazing man and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Guy's Perspective

Communication

Ideally, you don't text your way through meaningful conversation. I consider it a plan C. Plan A is being with her in person, while plan B is phone/FaceTime. Genuinely, a high percentage of communication is body language. Even if you know each other well, there are small movements or nuances that are easy to miss in their vocals or body language unless you are with them. It's the sour face you make on the phone because you know they can't see the expression. You learn over time, though that hiding things can be a waste of time. If you're with them, they deserve to feel like they can help you and sometimes sharing a problem with them means that they are valuable enough in your life to know. Don't be called whiny, but understand that a little bit of honesty goes along way. I learned to have the time and consideration is take to pick up on what bugs her, and the majority of the time it come from the eyes.

Gifts

Gifts are different. They change over time. You have more restrictions, certainly, due to a number of ideas you've already exhausted. In our first month together, we decided to give gifts at the end. A "monthiversery" of sorts. Well this carried on over the course of the first year. From that point on though, we've stuck to the big days. Birthday, V-Day, Christmas. This still provides plenty of time to run out of ideas, however. The biggest deal for me has been to "get society out of my head." Essentially, I didn't want to be the guy who messed up on something like this and picked something stupid and both disappointed Megan and embarrassed myself. Go with what makes her smile. If it's stupid, go ahead. If it isn't the most valuable monetarily, it may be more important to deal with what's emotionally valuable to the two of you. That's really all that holidays, namely Valentine's Day, is for. It's a chance to celebrate something, so don't apply the pressure so thick that you say no to all of your good ideas and need to be told later, "That would have been so sweet!"

Going Out

In high school, it became a routine. Feeling like far more than six dances in total, Megan and I were pros at this by the time Senior Prom came around. (I'm now thankful that I hadn't had the traditional public schooling, or there would have been dances to invite her to. I can only imagine what 12 dances might have done to us over the course of four years.) This was really my opportunity to put names with faces. I had heard about her friends through conversations she and I had, but it never really adds up until you see the group firsthand. Earlier that night of course was the preparation, which really is the highlight of most dances. Looking about the most formal and perfected that a pomped up white boy could look, I stepped out in my one button up shirt and vest and would drive to the flower shop down the road. I loved the coolness of the store and had memorized what flowers I had bought before to avoid repeats. Why bring you back to memories of high school dances? Because it's where I learned that being a gentleman and taking my lady to a nice place is actually a lot of fun. Again, what I learned is to take the pressure off and enjoy it. Yes, she would love for it to be perfect, but if she's with you she won't notice mistakes you made with valet parking or if the restaurant you both go to is kind of affordable. Clean shirt, dinner, and charm.

Arguments

We haven't faught or argued much in the time that we've known each other. We haven't had much of a reason to. But I have learned that it's okay to get frustrated. It's okay to let things like that out. It's hard to feel the need to cover things up that bug you, but hopefully fights can be prevented by being honest about differences in the first place. Ultimately, if something is up just deal with it. Talk it out and work through it before it gets to be a big issue.

Knowing Each Other

Megan is adorable, but she also deserves to be taken seriously. She works hard in her academic pursuits and equally as hard to be an amazing person. I know her favorite colors and also what she'd like in a future profession. I know the names of her family members and friends from high school and college. I know the shows that she grew up with and what will help her to feel better after days of stress. I care very deeply about getting to know her better. I heard once that that's what a long term relationship is. It's not about getting to know a thousand women, rather it's getting to know one woman a thousand ways. It's fun to find out what someone's midnight snack or Netflix preference is. There are little tidbits of information that you get lucky enough to catch from time to time. It only makes you closer to know these things, and I'm certainly fortunate to know Megan so well. But there's always more to learn.