How Long Will I Love 'Harry Potter?'

How Long Will I Love 'Harry Potter?'

"After all this time?" "Always."

24
How Long Will I Love 'Harry Potter?'
xtrascoop.com

At the age of 20, most would say I should’ve outgrown this love of the wizarding world by now, but there is no end in sight. And on the off chance you’ve never heard of this book series or the movies based off it, let me lay it down.

The "Harry Potter" series is about (gasp!) Harry Potter, a boy of 11 who lives in a closet underneath the stairs at his horrid — and possibly negligent — aunt and uncle’s house. He finds out he is a wizard. Harry gets to go to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, and the series follows his time at the school.

The books came out a little before my time, but I caught up as soon as I could read chapter books. Thus began a lifelong love story. I pre-ordered every book that came out, and saw all but the first few movies in theater. In my mind, the series is on par with the timeless ones: "LOTR," "Game of Thrones," "The Chronicles of Narnia," etc. I’m a stereotypical member of the "Harry Potter" generation. As a result, I grew up with the characters, and I believe the books made a huge impact on everyone who let them. Some Christians have shunned the series for having witchcraft, but it is usually the same people who grew watching shows like "Bewitched." And as long as you keep in mind that it is just a story, there’s no harm in loving it.

"Harry Potter" is about much more than magic. The entire series is based on the conquering power of love and the danger of seeing the world as “us vs. them.” The world is not divided into good people and Death Eaters, after all. There is good and bad in everyone. Courage in the face of evil, standing up for those who have gone before, these are the things you learn when you dive into this fictional world. The books are easily relatable to those with outcast diseases, like HIV — hello Remus Lupin! They teach that doing what is right is always better than doing what is easy, and that friendship and love can truly change the world. On top of all this, there’s a lot of humor too.

So, I love "Harry Potter." Not because I’m a weirdo or just nerdy, but because the series is truly one of the most grounded and relatable stories on Earth, despite it being in a magical setting.

As I write this, I’m in a van on the way to Orlando, Fla., and my dreams are about to come true at what I’ve lovingly coined “Harry Potter World.”

P.S. I’m a Ravenclaw (and a Pukwudgie). What are you?