Long Live: Meeting Taylor Swift

Long Live: Meeting Taylor Swift

The most magical weekend of my life.

43
Long Live: Meeting Taylor Swift
Mandy Jadick

Since everyone always asks for the story of how I got to meet my idol and best friend, I thought, why not post an article about it? This is all about how I got to meet Taylor Swift during the most magical weekend.

On June 3, 2015 my uncle Frank qualified on the radio as caller 9 to participate in "Blank Space Trivia" to meet Taylor in Philadelphia at her first of two concerts there on June 12, 2015. We already had tickets for June 13 that we had gotten back in November. Anyway, that meant the trivia was only a week away, against 30 other people who qualified. The way the contest worked was that if you qualified on air, you got to bring someone else with you as your team member. Needless to say, once I found out we had qualified after over a week of trying to even get through, I was ecstatic and also a bundle of nerves. The window to qualify was over in two days and I didn't even think we were going to, so when my mom called and said "guess what?" it was the furthest thing from my mind. My mom and I started running through a ton of topics that we thought would be asked. Looking back now, it was probably a funny sight to see. I even made a study guide in one of my notebooks because I was so afraid I would be extremely nervous and blank out.

For the next six days, I studied everything Taylor every chance I got. My friend and I studied on a Friday night. I even went through every song on every album and repeated the lyrics to myself at shadowing the day before the contest to make sure I remembered them all. The trivia was held at Andy Gavin's pub in Scranton, and the day finally came. It was quite an eventful day, if I do say so myself. I had to take my mom's car for an oil and tire change that morning, so that happened a little after 10 and I met Morgan and Mckensie at Burger King, then we went to Dunkin and then we took Kens to work at Finch Hill near my house, where Morgan and I finished eating and we got free ice cream! Then Zoe joined us and the three of us sat outside for a few hours before we decided to go back to Carbondale and see how much how longer the car would be. When we saw we still had to wait a little longer, Morgan proceeded in taking us into every store in the plaza, starting with the Dollar Store, where Zoe and I bought a lot of glow sticks for Saturday's concert. Then, I got the call that my car was done, so we dropped it off at my house and went too pick up Morgan's friend so we could go back to Finch Hill and get more ice cream. It was a little after 3 when we figured out that Morgan had to take her cousin home and I would take Zoe to work on the way to my mom's work.

So, Zoe and I went to my house for about an hour and we talked all about Taylor and college. By the time I dropped her off at 4:45, I was so excited but even more nervous that I had been all week for the trivia. I wanted it so badly! I got to my mom's bank a little earlier than expected, so I talked to a couple of her coworkers while I waited for her to get changed. Then, we were off!

We got to the pub about 5:30 and joined my aunt and uncle, who were already eating. My mom tried to talk me into eating something, but I knew it wouldn't end well if I did because I was so nervous. We checked in at a little after 6:20 and found out we were going to be in the first qualifying round of ten. I wasn't sure how I felt about going first, but obviously in retrospect I would not change a thing! So, we got all ten questions correct in the first round. Here's a list of the first round questions. I'll post the answers below in case anyone wants to test their Taylor knowledge!

1. What year was Taylor born?

2. What is Taylor's lucky number?

3. Is Taylor more like her mom or her dad?

4. What is Taylor's favorite book?

5. "You got that ___ ____ daydream look in your eyes."

6. Who is Austin Swift?

7. What are her parents' first names?

8. What is Taylor's middle name?

9. What body part does she write the number 13 on?

10. What state was Taylor born in?

1. 1989

2. 13

3. Dad

4. To Kill A Mockingbird

5. James Dean

6. Her brother

7. Scott and Andrea Swift

8. Alison (the contest people spelled it with two L's, no!)

9. Hand

10. Pennsylvania

So, like I said, we got all ten questions correct, but so did two other teams in the round. And the rules say in the event of tie, there will be a drawing. I don't know how Travis, the worker, picked our name in the drawing, but he did, and I was so excited to be qualified for the final round. While the other rounds went on to find the last two qualifiers, I was studying like crazy from my notebook again because I really didn't want to blank out now. There were a couple people laughing, but hey, I got the last laugh:) So, there were three of us in the final round. One of the teams was knocked out pretty quickly, missing the first five questions while us and the other team answered 4 out of the 5 correctly. Finally, the score between us and the other team was 9-6 and I only needed one more question. My mom was freaking out in the back with my aunt, I could hear them, because I got one question wrong, and it was 9-7. And then I got another wrong and it was 9-8. But I think it's really ironic that the final question was about the first song I ever heard by Taylor and I knew it was right, I just had to wait the fifteen seconds to show the answer. I was so excited, I was already almost in tears! Here were the ten finals questions I answered correctly.

1. How old was Taylor when she performed the National Anthem at a 76ers game?

2. Name one of Taylor's cats?

3. What elementary school did Taylor attend?

4. How many pages was Taylor's unpublished novel?

5. What was the name of the poem Taylor wrote in fourth grade that was nationally recognized?

6. Who did Taylor play The Best Day for for the first time ever and when?

7. What was the first song that Taylor ever wrote?

8. In "Our Song", what does she write their song on?

9. What year was Taylor's first Rolling Stone cover?

10. In the Teardrops On My Guitar music video, what is the name of the boy Tyler Hilton plays?

1. 11 (at the concert she said 12 and me and my mom just yelled Taylor you were only 11!)

2. Dr. Meredith Grey and Detective Olivia Benson

3. West Reading Elementary Center

4. 350 pages

5. Monsters In My Closet

6. Her mom on Christmas Eve

7. Lucky You

8. An old napkin

9. 2009 (this was an educated guess based on her hairstyles lol)

10. Drew!

When they said our names as the winner, I fell to the ground in happy tears, I could not believe it! They sent me the reaction video and pictures after and they are hilarious. My uncle and the hosts were bowing down because they had kept calling me the Taylor Queen! I was so happy, I could hardly find words to speak in the interview right after. Lissa, one of the hosts, was yelling "Let's get this girl a seat and some water before she passes out!" That's how shocked and happy I was, and Lissa was so happy I won. The tickets and meet and greet were for the Friday show, so we were getting to see Taylor twice! We had to tell them right then who was going, so they all decided my mom would go. We had to be there at 4:30 on Friday. I'm surprised I could even drive home, I was on such an adrenaline rush. I didn't even sleep that night!

I did, however, keep working on the letter that I had already started writing for Taylor. I was typing it first so all I would have to do was recopy it. Throughout the day Thursday, I was still in disbelief and I was also up at 7 because Rocky and Lissa wanted to interview me on the air. They asked what my favorite song was and it was the hardest question I've ever been asked! Haha, I started crying again after the interview because I still could not believe it! I spent the morning working on my letter and I finished typing it out right before I met my aunt for lunch. She asked if we were spending the weekend in Philadelphia, but I still didn't know, but I told her everything that had happened and I couldn't stop smiling! When I finally got home, I started handwriting the letter, and my mom also called me and said by some miracle my dad had been able to book two nights at the hotel right by the stadium! We had tried to book it back in November when we got our first set of tickets, and it was booked, so I have no idea how it happened, but it did! Halfway through writing my letter that night, I was exhausted and so was my mom since she hadn't slept the night before either. We decided we would get up early and do everything in the morning, other than choosing outfits.

So around 8:30, we were up and packing like crazy. I ran out to get pictures for my book for Taylor to put with the drawings and to get Dunkin for breakfast. We finally left the house a few minutes after noon (Nadya wanted to jump in the car with us, of course), picked up our cheese steaks from Steve and Irene's and were on our way to Philadelphia!

On the way down, I was copying the rest of my letter from my laptop into the notebook and we were blasting Taylor music. It all still felt so unreal! My mom was hilarious as we were trying to get through the ten miles on the busiest exit, getting excited whenever we got under another mile. We arrived at the hotel about 4:00 and the room was a hurricane of clothes as we rushed to get changed, put on makeup, and make sure we had everything before we walked the eight minutes to Lincoln Financial Field We got to the will call window and they handed me the envelope with the blue paper in it, and I still could not believe this was happening! We had to wait in line by the gates until they opened at 5 and we had to meet in section 107. It was so hot! It was over 100 degrees at that point and Philadelphia was under a heat advisory. It finally hit five 'o' clock, but they wouldn't open the gates! They finally did at 5:09 and we hurried down to section 107 after getting our tickets and bags checked and getting our "gifts from Taylor." The bracelets were so cool! We waited in line on the concourse outside of a door until about twenty to six, and then our first group was moved inside, given pink wristbands, and pointed to wait in line on a stairwell. We met some super nice people, Lisa and Chloe, who were in line behind us, so it definitely helped pass the time we were waiting on those stairs. But it was SO HOT! I mean, there were no windows, plus the body heat, and we happened to be on a landing so we couldn't even sit on the stairs. My mom thought she was going to faint, and Lisa kept having hot flashes as well. My mom said if she did faint, she wanted to wake up to Taylor, haha. Finally, a little before 6:00, we were moved into an air-conditioned type hallway outside of Loft 89. When I saw the Loft 89 sign, I was afraid I was going to start crying again! And we saw Mama Swift in the doorway! About forty-five minutes later, we had moved far enough in the line after sharing stories and dying of thirst that we were inside Loft 89! The first glimpse I got of Taylor through the curtain in a smaller room was amazing, I was in shock again and I started repeating "Oh my God" because she was literally right there! Loft 89 was set up really cool, and there were costumes, of course! There was the Natalie outfit, complete with the Scrabble necklace and pegacorn drawing from the Ew! skit on Jimmy Fallon, one of my favorite dresses Taylor has worn, the blue one from the 2013 BBMAs, a black dress from another award show that I can't remember off the top of my head (update: Billboard Music magazine cover for Woman of the Year 2012) , and the white outfit Taylor wore during the Style music video! And were getting closer and closer to Taylor and I was getting more and more freaked out and nervous and excited again! Lisa and my mom kept telling me to relax and laughing, and then there was Chloe telling me it's okay to cry.

The little girl and her mom in front of us entered and I heard Taylor say "Hey babe" before the curtain closed and one of the Taylornation people gave us the little meet and greet card where we would be able to find our picture later. And she loved my outfit and agreed that my mom looked like Mama Swift. Did I mention a bunch of people in line came up to her and told her that? It was great! Finally, the lady from Taylornation (Erica) motioned for us to go in and she smiled at 6:33 P.M.

Taylor was turned around at first, so I slowed down, saying in what I thought was a low voice "is this real right now? Oh my God," but then she turned around and laughed and said "you're cute" and held her arms out and walked to meet me before she hugged me. She gives the most amazing hugs! I told her my name and she said "Hi! How are you guys? Thanks for coming!" I think she told us her name, as if we didn't already know, before she walked over to my mom to hug her, too and my mom said hi and that it was so nice to meet her. Before I said anything else, my mom told her that I won a trivia contest to meet her here, and I added in "yeah, for the radio station, and it's a dream." Then Taylor said "Wow that's awesome! And I really like your outfit!" I started thanking her over and over for everything when suddenly she said "Let me see your eyes! They're beautiful eyes, I love them, they're so so green!" And before she said they were beautiful and stuff she was like inches from my face staring into my eyes and she was holding my wrist and twisting my black 1989 bracelet and I'm not sure how I wasn't passed out on the ground at that point. I said thank you with a big smile before telling her about the mini journal and drawings I left on the table for her and I told her I wrote a letter in it for her and asked if she would please read it. She said "Really? Oh yeah, yeah, don't worry about it absolutely! Do you want to get a picture?" As if she even had to ask that! But I said "yeah, can we do a hugging one?" And Taylor said "Oh my gosh, yes!" And she hugged me again for the picture and it was amazing! And she smelled so good! I couldn't even tell you if the photographer was a boy or girl because I was so focused on Taylor. It was amazing that it was only you, her and the photographer in there, no security, no nothing. She was wearing a really cute mini dress that was white with black cutouts and a zipper going diagonal down the front and black heels. Even without the heels, she's so tall! After the picture, we pulled back and I said "Thank you so much, Taylor, I love you so much!" And she hugged me one last time and said "oh, thank you, thanks for winning the trivia, that's awesome!" Then I said "I love you, I love you so much! And she grabbed my hand and held onto it as she said "I love you, too!" And then we both squeezed and she said "Bye guys, enjoy the show!" And my mom said good luck and squeezed her hand, and Taylor said thank you as she waved to us. Another Taylornation guy gave us our autographed photos of Taylor as we exited on the other side and I as soon as the curtain closed behind us, I almost fainted, I started crying, and smiling, I was so happy!

I was still in shock as we walked back upstairs to the main level and bought water and a hot dog and mom bought the 1989 drawstring bag (she has the RED one also, she loves them!) We decided to get in the Taylornation booth line! We stood in line for over two hours, skipping the opening acts because we knew we were coming back the next day. We made some more new friends in line and I also found Lisa on Facebook! Mom bought Chickie and Pete's chicken tenders in line and she wasn't too impressed, but it was food! We made it to the front of the line hours later a few minutes after Vance Joy finished his set. It seemed as though the show was running behind for some reason, but it was okay! We saw Kevin (the head of Taylornation), took pictures with the Taylornation selfie stick, and then took pictures with all the costumes! The ribbon dance costume from the Shake It Off music video was there, Taylor's riding outfit the Blank Space music video was next to it, and then the gold dress and shoes from the first time Taylor performed Blank Space live at the AMAs were there, and finally, the outfit she wore during 22 and the B-stage songs on the Red Tour were there. Mom and I took pictures in front of the Taylornation backdrop together and separately, and then, since we had time and the line was nonexistent, we went over to the Keds booth right next door and I took pictures with the giant Taylor ads! And mom finally got her Rita's, although they were out of mango and cherry since it was so hot, and we both got blue raspberry. We made it to our seats a few minutes after nine 'o' clock and it was perfect timing because only five minutes later, Feel So Close began playing and we knew Taylor was coming! She took the stage around 9:15 with Welcome to New York! And our tickets were seats 13 and 14 in section 107! 13!

The show was amazing, and we weren't concerned with taking many pictures since we were coming back, so we danced for the next two and a half hours! I was dying hearing all of the 1989 songs live, as well as the new versions of I Knew You Were Trouble, Love Story, We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, and Enchanted mixed with Wildest Dreams! I love how happy she gets singing the bridge of Wildest Dreams! I will never forget that! She made 50,000 people cry during her speech before All You Had To Do Was Stay and her speech before Clean, and like I've always said, I love hearing 50,000 people singing the same thing. She brought out Echosmith to sing Cool Kids before she sang You Are In Love and it was amazing! And during Style, Cara Delevingne and...wait for it...the original Olivia Benson, Mariska Hargitay came onstage! I screamed so loud, I love SVU and Mariska! And I heard Taylor saying Olivia Benson and I really thought she meant her cat, that's how much I couldn't believe it. I was looking and asking myself "Is Cara holding a little white cat?" I really do think Taylor tried sending me into static shock that weekend. It was absolutely amazing and I couldn't wait for night 2! The show ended around 11:30 and we got back to the hotel around midnight, and it was still at least ninety degrees. Oh, and Taylor wore pink for Shake It Off!

I don't think either of us really got to sleep until around two in the morning, and we were woken up pretty early, around 8-8:30 because the hallway and rooms near us were so noisy. But since we got an early start, we were able to walk over and see the tour trucks at the stadium before it got super hot again. After an awful breakfast in the hotel, we walked over to Lincoln Financial Field, found all 27 of Taylor's trucks, and took some pictures before we continued walking to a CVS for a newspaper. On that walk, we decided we were going to go to Pat's for cheese steaks since we didn't really have any breakfast. We ended up walking for about an hour and a half and it was so hot by then, wow. We got to Pat's without incident, which was great because my mom doesn't really like driving in the city. We got back to the hotel and had about two and a half hours to eat, relax, and get ready before we had to get back over to the stadium to meet Demi and her mom, whom we met at the Red Tour, for the VIP pre-party.

It was another scorcher as we left the hotel 3:30 (remembering our cameras this time even though mom forgot her phone), and it seemed like an eternity before we found Demi in Lot K. She was dressed as a Shake It Off cheerleader! It was so great to see her and her mother again. We headed over to get our tickets and check-in around 4:30 and we were on our way to VIP room after getting another "gift from Taylor." It was so nice to be somewhere with air-conditioning this time! We were among the first in the room, and we ran right over to Taylor's costumes to take pictures first! Her outfit from the RED Tour from We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together was there and there was also the outfit she wore during a rooftop GMA performance before one of her Secret Sessions on release day in NYC! And then we all took pictures with a shrub decorated frame, the glowing "We never go out of style" sign, the glowing "Cause darling I'm a nightmare dressed like a daydream" sign, and some other signs and posters. Then, we grabbed a little food and went right to the desserts, which were amazing! There was a strawberry dessert and a chocolate one, so good! And mom grabbed a random Diet Coke and she picked the "Share a coke with Mom" one. She was so happy! After we finished taking pictures, we got in the short line for merchandise shopping. I got guitar picks, two shirts, and the 1989 cover art lithograph. I already had a lot of the stuff, so shopping wasn't too bad. We grabbed a little more food and water and I wrote 13 and 1989<3 on my hands, and "I think I am finally clean" down my arm, and then we walked with Demi and her mom down to the Taylornation line and said our goodbyes. Before we headed to our seats, we met up with my friend Meg to take pictures!

Then, we headed down to the floor. Our seats were fantastic! We were on floor 4 in row 17, and we had seats 1 and 2, right next to the catwalk! We were getting so antsy when the opening acts finally started an hour later at 7:00. Shawn Mendes was really good, singing some of his hits as well as some great covers from Ed Sheeran, Macklemore, and the Plain White T's. Vance Joy was okay, I didn't think he had a great stage presence, but maybe that was because I didn't know many songs and it was getting closer to Taylor time. After Vance's set, more videos and trivia started playing on the screen and then "She Drives Me Crazy" began playing. It was almost time. When "Feel So Close" started, nearly the entire arena jumped to their feet. And then the lights went down. And the music for Welcome to New York started. And Taylor appeared!

She followed with New Romantics and talked about how she was born in 1989 right down the road in Reading, PA mid-song. During Blank Space, her facial expressions were PERFECT and so hilarious! And she yelled Philly into her echo machine. Being so close, when the lights went down before I Knew You Were Trouble, we were able to still see her and one of the dancers setting up in the middle of the catwalk. It was great! And the new version of Trouble was eerily fabulous. Her speech before I Wish You Would was great, and then she changed costumes quickly for How You Get the Girl. "Can I see you jump, Philly?!" It was really cool to be able to see all the lights before the spotlight came on and the still being able to see all of her dancing in just the lights of the dress before she changed again for I Know Places. Before All You Had To Do Was Stay, her speech was wonderful, just like the night before, and it made us choke up and cry a little. It's so easy to relate to it, it's crazy. Love should be simple. After that, she started thanking us for always coming out, even when she was 12 (Tay, you were 11) and sang at the 76ers game. And then she said she got to thinking about how she could thank us. And then she started dropping clues. And then she told us Rachel Platten was there to sing Fight Song for us! It was absolutely amazing, and it was probably the best song I could've asked to hear Taylor sing with someone at this point in my life. And Rachel was a sweetheart. Then, being as close as we were, Taylor was being given her acoustic guitar by a member of the crew and we heard her say "thank you so much!" and she smiled so widely, it was adorable! And then she started floating around the stadium and teaching us how to echo her back during You Are In Love. And then she made the entire stadium bawl like little kids when she gave her speech before Clean. Mom was trying to record and the camera was shaking because she was crying and couldn't wipe her tears. I was crying almost uncontrollably at one point, it was even worse than the night before, and so was everyone around me when I looked. Taylor even got choked up and started tearing up. It meant so much. After that, she switched out her guitar for a keyboard and told us about how she kept getting ideas for old songs at four in the morning and moved a piano into her room because of it and that one of the first ones was a song she wrote when she was seventeen. And it was about one of her favorite plays, but the characters died and she was like "no, what?!" And they were named Romeo and Juliet. And the song was called Love Story. She came back down to the original stage at the end and disappeared for another costume change. She came back full force for Style. She told us she thought we were cute when we thought Rachel was the only surprise, so we knew someone was coming, but this person was the farthest from my mind because Taylor hardly ever brings a special guest back twice, especially two nights in a row. But when she announced Mariska Hargitay again, I almost died! And because of the night before, mom thought she meant her cat this time! And when Mariska passed us on the runway and I was screaming "I love you, Mariska," she waved to me! We made eye contact and she waved! Taylor was getting exceedingly closer to sending me into shock, I couldn't believe Mariska was back and that she acknowledged me, it was incredible! I was able to keep myself calm while Taylor sang This Love, one of mom's favorites, and was able to record most of it, but when she went back under the stage for a costume change, I had to sit down. I was shaking, I was so happy. She came back out for a great rendition of Bad Blood, the bracelets and the stadium were going crazy, everyone was singing so loudly, and her vocals were spot on, as they always are. Then, she grabbed a white, electric guitar and started the thrilling rock version of We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together, screaming into the microphone, and angrily yelling "much cooler than mine."

After the mini-rock concert/jam session, Taylor changed into a sparkly gown and brought out her piano for a beautiful Wildest Dreams and Enchanted mashup, and to talk about how she thought spending a Saturday night with 50,000 of her friends was romantic. She looked so darn happy during the bridge for Wildest Dreams, I will never forget the look on her face. It was the cutest thing! After that, she tore off the skirt of her gown and trees appeared in the background for Out of the Woods. The bridge was flawless live, and paper airplanes, as well as paper airplane-shaped confetti completed the song. And on her way back down the catwalk for a costume change, Taylor made a funny face at me and waved! She made eye contact! Oh my gosh, I was freaking out! The video of her, Olivia, and Meredith came on and I didn't even realize it at first, I was trying so hard to get my breath again. She came back out for Shake It Off, and she was wearing blue this time! Even her ankle boots were glittering blue! All of the finale was perfect, and the rising catwalk was spinning so fast! Before the bridge, she told us it was the last time she would see us for a while, but then she said "I will always come back. Philly, I will always come back to you!" It was amazing! Taylor looked so awestruck as she thanked her dancers and all her opening acts and special guests before she blew us a kiss and danced around as she was lowered back beneath the stage. Across the screen came the hidden message from Clean, "She lost him, but she found herself, and somehow that was everything." Then came Thank You, and Goodnight. And then the first song that played once everyone was offstage the was "We Didn't Start the Fire" by Billy Joel! My mom was laughing at me because I was dancing so much to it, lol. We got back to the hotel a little earlier, around 11:45, and it was a little cooler, only mid-80s. However, we were watching traffic out the window and it was just as awful as the night before, especially since Barry Manilow had played a show next door at the Wells Fargo Center.

Once I had calmed down from all the excitement, very close to medical shock thanks to Taylor and even more of her surprises, we went o bed around 1:00 or 1:30, and woke up around 9:30. We packed up quickly, met Tyler outside the hotel around 11:00, stopped at CVS for another newspaper and headed home.

Now, you would think our story ends here and we had our meet and greet picture and everything was great, but no. So, the media SD card with all the pictures on it was having trouble uploading the pictures and then it was accidentally shipped with the rest of the equipment to the next tour stop. And the next tour stop happened to be halfway around the world in Germany. So, after emailing back and forth with Taylornation, we finally got out picture on June 18, almost a week after the show, but it was worth the wait!

And it was worth the seven year long wait to finally meet Taylor. If you had told me the first time I heard Teardrops On My Guitar over eight years ago that the young girl singing would become such a huge part of my life, I would have called you insane. If you told me I would meet the amazing woman she became and hear her tell me that she loved me, I would've checked you into a mental hospital. I guess the thing we've learned here is that I'm not a very good fortune teller. And that dreams do come true. Thank you, Taylor, I love you so much. Long long live that look on your face, and long live June 12, 2015. One day, we will be remembered.