"Don't do it, you'll regret it".

Those are probably the words you've heard or told your friends when they've expressed interest in this guy or girl that lives far away. Yes, no one wants to be in a long-distance relationship, all the fun of going on romantic dates and whatnot doesn't happen, but does that mean you should avoid it like the plague?

Me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost 1.5 years now and if anyone were to tell you that their long distance relationship was "easy", I'm calling them out right here and now on that bullshit. It's anything but easy. Sure, the cliché "it's easy if it's with the right person" is nice to think about, but in my opinion, long distance gets to anyone and everyone.

For instance, let's take your high school friends. Now I'm sure some of them, or even you, went out-of-state so now, you only see them on breaks or holidays; so a lot LOT less than the past 18 years you've known them. You can't tell me that there hasn't been times that you've been annoyed that they took this long to reply or that they just went MIA for a couple days or weeks.

Now if that happens in just a FRIENDship, imagine the struggle of a RELATIONship. In a friendship, you don't exactly owe anything to your friends. Even if they are your best friend from kindergarten, you're not upheld to any standard; however, when you're in a relationship with someone, there are certain expectations because you made that commitment to the other person.

In my experience and friends', in long distance relationship the biggest problems are: communication, effort, and just… yes you guess it, the DISTANCE.

Distance makes everything harder, you can't crawl into bed with your partner after a stressful day, you can't be in contact with them 24/7, you can't… the list goes on and on. BUT with all the negative things you don't have from being long distance, there are benefits.

For one, since you don't get to see each other often, I would say you're much more emotionally connected and in tune with your partner, since that is all you really have most of the time. Also, a big one is that, when you do get to visit your boyfriend/girlfriend, it's the most amazing time. There's nothing quite like the excitement that builds up to the plane landing or uber arriving or them knocking on your door.

So, while I wouldn't per se recommend a long distance relationship, if you want it, go for it. I wouldn't limit yourself with the fact that the guy/girl you're interested in doesn't go to your school. If you want to try it out, try it out and if it doesn't work out at least you gave it your best shot and had fun while you did right?