You May Not Believe It, But Distance Can Be The Best Thing For Your Relationship
relationships

It's only as hard as you make it.

86

Being far away from the ones you love is never fun, especially when you're living very different lives. I have been in a relationship for over two years and we have pretty much always been long distance. Our first year and a half together was spent seeing each other every weekend and sometimes more. Sooner or later college came around and it went from seeing each other every weekend to once every few weeks or months. For me, it ended up being really difficult and I contemplated our relationship a lot. I hated how I could never tell him to come over randomly or study with him in the library or watch movies when everyone would go out and party. It almost made me angry and jealous of those who were able to do that.

Those feelings of mine went back and forth in my head for a while. Because of those feelings, I would always be upset or mad about unnecessary things. I focused too much on the negatives and didn't pay attention to all of the great things about our relationship.

We went through a lot of ups and downs that eventually led us to splitting for a month or two. It was during that time that I realized what I lost. I went back into our relationship with a completely different mindset, focusing on all of the unique qualities about him and the happiness that he brought me. Now, being in my second year of college and him being in his third, we have been happier than ever.

Let me tell you, being in a long distance relationship is only as hard as you make it to be. Yes, there are definitely going to be times of doubt and hardships, but it's being able to get through those times that makes you the strongest. It allows you to strengthen your communication abilities by dealing with arguments or certain situations over the phone instead of face to face. It allows you to cherish the moments you have with each other and appreciate all of the time you get to spend together. It allows you to do things for each other that you wouldn't normally do if you were together every day. It makes every time you see them, even more special than the last.

There are so many different opinions on long distance relationships. Many people feel that you shouldn't be in one during your college years because it is your time to explore. That is what I would contemplate to myself during my first year of college and experiencing long distance myself. However, I came to realize that if you are truly happy and in a relationship that is special to you, you shouldn't feel the need to "explore".

If you are in a long distance relationship, or are going to be, do not focus on what people may tell you about it. Focus on what makes you happy, whether it be staying with the person or not. If you decide to try and it doesn't work out, that is okay! It isn't easy for everyone, and sometimes it won't work out. Relationships are there to teach you and each one is an important lesson for other future relationships you may have. More importantly, they are an important lesson for yourself. Whatever comes out of long distance relationships, or any relationship in general, will make you stronger.

Long distance relationships teach you a great amount about patience, communication and strength. If you constantly think about how you can't be with your significant other all of the time, you are keeping yourself from the potential happiness you could have if you focused on the great parts about it. Having someone by your side through this crazy life will make the distance all worth it.