6 Tips That Will Make A Long-Distance Relationship Successful

I am not an expert, but I have experience!

18
Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

Long-distance relationships happen for many reasons. This relationship can occur if you are high school seniors planning to attend different universities, people who met through social media or a website, or two strangers who met on vacation. As you two talk, the butterflies begin to flutter in your stomach, and you realize you are developing feelings for this person who lives miles away from you.

The idea of living many miles from your significant other tends to sway people away from attempting to make a relationship work. This type of relationship can be difficult. Currently, I am in my second long-distance relationship, and although I am not an expert, these are a few tips and tricks to having a successful long-distance relationship.

1. Communication and honesty

Whether in-person or long-distance, communication, and honesty prove to be significant in every relationship. However, with your significant other living far away from you, these attributes are required. A lack of other of these key factors results in jealousy and overthinking, which can break a relationship. If your significant other asks a personal question, answer it honestly. If you did something wrong that would deeply hurt your significant other if they found out, simply tell them. Being honest and communicating increases your chance of being able to fix your issues rather than keeping them secrets since your significant other would "never find out."

2. Always make time for each other

Being in a long-distance relationship means that you are not able to have that blessing of being in your significant other's presence whenever you wish. There are no spontaneous food runs, pool days, or dates. Therefore, designating time for each other is vital to the survival of this relationship. The main form of "in-person communication" for long-distance relationships is FaceTime. FaceTime allows couples to talk face-to-face while not being face-to-face. Dedicating time to talk on the phone helps satisfy the overwhelming feeling of missing your significant other.

3. Do not act as if you are single

Wondering how your significant other will act when approached by someone attempting to woo them remains one of the biggest concerns of long-distance relationships. Just because your boyfriend or girlfriend is not living near you, does not mean their feelings do not matter. You are still in a committed relationship despite them not being physically present; therefore, you must act the same way you would if the relationship is in-person rather than long-distance.

4. Show you care

Texting and calling do not satisfy the longing for physical affection from your significant other; however, small examples of showing you care for the other such as sending gifts or cards boosts morale and keeps the relationship meaningful. The price of the gift is irrelevant; what truly matters most is if the gift came from your heart. Personally speaking, the Touch Bond bracelet specifically designed for long-distance relationships was one of the best gifts to send because it makes you feel connected despite the miles between the two of you.

5. Visit each other whenever you can

Visiting each other may be difficult because of the current COVID-19 pandemic, school schedules, work schedules, travel prices, and much more; however, receiving that physical contact with each other is also important. No hope of seeing each other results in losing faith in the relationship lasting. FaceTime does help, but people long for their partner's touch. One major value I learned from long-distance relationships is to make every moment count. When you meet with your significant other for the first time in months, you learn to cherish each second you spend with them because unfortunately, you have no clue when you will see each other next.

Lastly and certainly the most important…

6. Never forget why you love them

I am not going to sugar coat it: times do get rough. There are times where the distance can be overwhelming, and you may be starting to lose hope because you want that physical connection. However, you would not have decided to engage in a long-distance relationship if you did not love that person. When times become challenging, remember why you are doing this. If you forget why you are putting yourself through the difficulties of long-distance, the relationship will not survive. Unconditional love is one of the most important factors in a successful long-distance relationship.

Despite the unfortunate distance, this type of relationship is also beneficial. Through long-distance, you can establish a strong emotional connection, which is important in long-lasting relationships. Some couples jump into relationships, skipping this vital connection, which can end the relationship quickly; however, long-distance truly tests a person's ability to trust, stay loyal, and most importantly love.