An Open Letter To All The Long-Distance Lovers

A few tips and tricks on how to approach a long-distance relationship.

nadoty
nadoty
117

Raise your hand if you have ever felt personally victimized by the distance between your university and your significant other?! Partaking in a long distance relationship can be tough, especially this time of year when we are all stressing out about the impending doom of finals. When you're struggling and all you want is a snuggle and a smooch from your love, or perhaps next fall will be the first time you're away from your significant other, take these tips into consideration to combat the homesickness from your metaphorical home.

1. Communicate frequently.

A gesture as simple as calling your honey when you are walking to chapter or sending a voice memo while you walk to class can make all the difference in a relationship. Putting in the effort to communicate effectively and frequently is what makes a long-distance relationship work.

2. Don't dwell on what you can't control.

Let's say your love is hanging out with friends, babysitting, at work, school, etc. Don't dwell on not being able to talk every second of every day. That is not probable. Instead, refer to tip one. Did you go back and reread it? Good. Now that you have re-read it, communication is the basis of making the relationship work, however, feel free to hang out with your friends, take a mental health day, read a good book, or get some much needed studying in.

3. Sleep with pillows and stuffed animals.

Is this cheesy? Probably, however, my Moosey would disagree with you. I don't know about you guys, but when I have to get used to not sleeping next to my boyfriend again it is the worst. Instead, I'm not afraid to admit I snuggle with my stuffed animal to combat loneliness. Try spraying your significant other's perfume or cologne on your pillows or stuffed animals to be reminded of your love!

4. Hang out frequently without convictions.

In my case I am unfortunately 183 miles away from my significant other, so sometimes hanging out is not an option. When planning to hang out with your sweetie, try your best to follow through and clear your responsibilities. Often times in long distance relationships it's harder to hang out, so try and have your homework done and slate cleared so you can really appreciate the time spent together. Also, because it's harder to hang out, make plans based around what you both like and try your best to keep them. Canceling plans is never fun, especially when you have to wait another month or so to see one another.

5. If you don't choose to follow any of these tips, actually consider following this one: don't be too hard on yourself.

Don't give your relationship fairy tale expectations or labels and expect it to be perfect. Every relationship is different and if you go into a long distance relationship with outlandish expectations then all parties will be hurt. I always apologize profusely when I am a bad texter one day, however, my boyfriend acknowledges that I am out here chasing my dreams and pursuing my passions. Take care of yourself and your responsibilities but more importantly have fun and be carefree. Long distance is only as scary as you make it, coming from my almost 6th year of relationship (second year of long distance) if the love is strong enough and the commitment to one another is unbreakable then the relationship will work.