5 Things You Can Do To Stay Connected With Your Long Distance Besties

5 Things you can do To Stay Connected With your long distance besties

Distance means so little when someone means so much.

75

Summertime in college can be a difficult time for a lot of students because they leave all their friends at school and either go back home or travel. This places many people into temporary long-distance friendships, which can really take a toll on you if you let it. I have had multiple LDFs in my life and continue to have some. Some of these friendships are better than the ones I have in real life, believe it or not. These friendships can be extremely meaningful and important. Here are some ways you and your long distances friends can stay in touch and enjoy your friendship!

1. Watch movies with them!

This may seem absurd to some people, but hear me out! With technology today it is beyond easy to stream a movie and watch it with your friends. Simply call your friends on Facetime or Skype, and either play the movie at the same time or use a screen sharing site like "rabb.it" to watch it simultaneously. I've done this multiple times with friends and we've enjoyed watching the films and giving commentary that makes us laugh throughout. Doing this really makes it seem like you guys are actually hanging out.

2. Binge the same TV shows

You can watch these show with them the way you would watch a movie, or you can both watch the show separately on your own time and then talk about it. There is nothing better than getting an ALL CAPS text from your friend that is them freaking out over a plot twist in the show that you are both watching. Having TV shows can easily help you guys bond and feel like you always have something to discuss when you call or Facetime each other.

3. Video chat whenever you can

Life gets busy in the summer, with summer classes or jobs to worry about, schedules don't typically match each other, but when someone matters enough, you can make time for them. Even if you call them when you're taking a walk in your neighborhood or are on your way somewhere, they will be happy. Seeing their face on your screen makes it seem like they're just a little bit closer to you than they actually are. Some friendships can even allow you to Facetime them when you're both doing homework on opposite ends of the country. You have them to keep you company, and this works well as long as they are not distracting you from getting any real work done.

4. Send letters and postcards

I've had my friends send me an entire package with letters from all of them, and that meant the world to me. Reading their kind words and seeing their poorly drawn pictures of us as stick figures made my heart happy. I was going through a hard time and their words cheered me up a lot. I have sent them all little thank you notes with quotes that I thought were fitting to each of their personal situations and a note that I wrote to them. They loved the notes a lot. One of my friends even put the quotes section as her phone's lock screen. Sending them snail mail is more personal than sending the usual text. They see your handwriting and have something you personally made for them. It's always nice to receive these letters as well.

5. Snapchat

Snapchat is the easiest way to stay in contact with friends from far away. You can simply snap a picture or video to them in an instant to let them know what you are doing, and then you can start a chat with them and talk while sending each other clips instantaneously. This is a fun and quick way to stay up to date with what your pals are doing and to let them know what you are doing.

Long distance friendships are real an can be meaningful. Don't let anyone invalidate these friendships and try to maintain them if you feel like they are worth it.