Long Distance Relationship Tips And Tricks
relationships

6 Long-distance relationship do's and don'ts every lDR couple Needs to utilize

For a happier, and healthier long distance relationship!

318
Rosemary Wojtkowski

If you are in a long distance relationship, or about to start one, we can all agree that they are super tough, yet extremely beneficial. It takes two extremely strong people to be able to handle the many miles in between one another for long periods of time. Whether colleges or careers separate you, it can become very difficult when you are both living two different lives in completely different places.

Each couple may handle their long-distance relationship in seemingly different ways; some tips and tricks just might work best for some, and not so much for others. Regardless of the negative aspects, the distance truly strengthens your relationship for the better.

What matters most throughout all the struggles is that each person put's in the same amount of energy, effort, and love into making his or her relationship last. As I am about to enter my third year in a long distance relationship with my S.O, I've found these 6 tips super helpful in maintaining a happy, and healthy long distance relationship!

DON’T: Fail at communicating with one another.

First things first, this is THE MOST IMPORTANT tip! When you don't have the luxury of seeing your S.O as often as you would like, LDR couples solely have to rely on communicating through texting, phone calls, and video chats (thank god for technology am I right!?) DO NOT fail at keeping your partner updated with what is going on in your life! You don't have to text every second of the day, but updates throughout your busy schedule or phone calls before bed could really help keep each other informed on how they are and how their day was.

DO: Prioritize each other more than ever.

Like I said earlier, LDR couples live two completely different lives when they are apart. In the midst of the crazy amount of work and everything going on at school, it can become very easy to get distracted with what you are doing and forget about the more important things, like each other. Don't forget to make your S.O a priority as well and set aside time for each other often. Plan a video chat date and stick to it!

DON’T: Stop putting in extra effort.

Regardless of if your relationship is long distance or not, any relationship requires effort, or else you wouldn't be in that relationship in the first place. Long distance relationships are unique this way because they require 10x more effort. Keeping each other updated, uplifting one another through hard times, and sending lots of love from miles and miles away are perfect ways to show your partner that no matter the distance, you'll always be there.

DO: Listen and support one another through every obstacle.

Always, always, ALWAYS listen and support your S.O even if it is an obstacle you might not be facing together. This goes hand in hand with the importance of communication. Since you don't have the ability to go over your partner's house, give them a hug, and tell them everything will be okay when something is wrong, every piece of advice has to be done over the phone. This could be difficult, but it proves you would always go the extra mile for your partner (as you should). Listen to their struggles, talk them through any obstacle, and continue to support their choices through any endeavor.

DON’T: Let jealousy dictate your behavior

Ah, jealousy. We don't like to admit it, but this funky feeling always leaves a bitter taste in our mouths when our S.O experiences things we can't control. Whether they have fun plans on a Friday night and you are stuck home alone, or people you don't know are getting a little too flirty with your person, you can't let jealousy get in the way of how you act. Be strong, keep your head up, and be confident that your person will always be YOUR person. At the end of the day, you both wouldn't be going through this long distance if that person weren't worth it.

You choose each other. Let that random girl at the party think she can steal your man, you both know it'll never happen. Good try though!

DO: Send lots of love, always

It's all about the love! Small acts like "missing and thinking of you" texts, random packages or letters in the mail of things that remind you of each other like pictures or your favorite candy, and being there for one another goes a long way. Maintaining the love you have for one another is the best way to help each other get through the distance and time apart.

Although it might be tough at times, never forget that each day apart is another day closer till you get to see one another again!